Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill: Curious behaviour  (Read 1742 times)

Pete_G

Sigma DP2 Merrill: Curious behaviour
« on: July 25, 2013, 01:13:59 pm »

My DP2M appears to have an irritating intermittent fault. Sometimes it will take another shot 2-3 seconds after I've taken the first one. It is entirely intermittent, exhibiting no pattern I can discern. It possibly appears to happen more frequently when first switched on. Sometimes it occurs perhaps on 30 per cent of the shots I take but sometimes I can't get it to happen at all. Does anyone have any ideas before I contact Sigma Imaging UK?

I usually have the camera adjusted for aperture priority and only shoot max quality RAW.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill: Curious behaviour
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 03:05:20 pm »

We first thought it was a sort of dark frame subtraction even with short exposures, but it seems no. Look like a clock problem.

Phone them first, to explain your problem : 01707 329999

They will drive you.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Malina DZ

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 10:28:41 pm »

Pete, I experience the same issue with my DP2M from time to time. Sometimes there's also a full second or two shutter lag with the screen black out for the same period.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 12:24:57 am »

We first thought it was a sort of dark frame subtraction even with short exposures, but it seems no. Look like a clock problem.

Phone them first, to explain your problem : 01707 329999

They will drive you.

They will drive you.
Drive you crazy or drive you to some nice place?

billh

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 09:03:44 am »

Mine does that too, but I thought perhaps it was due to the fact I have it set to continuous, and I held the shutter button too long, although I didn’t think I’d done so. I’m not about to part with it to have that small niggle fixed. These little cameras are so much fun I find myself taking it out just to photograph mundane things I would not bother with otherwise.

Did anyone happen to see Lloyd Chambers write about making a 72 x 46 inch (183 x 119 cm for Hulyss) print from a DP3M file. It’s interesting to see how much some people are captivated by the quality from these cameras. Think back to the past and remember the lengths to which we went to squeeze a bit more quality from our images - tech pan and an assortment of different developers, medium and large format cameras...I can also remember the excitement over the image quality of my first digital camera, a Canon 1Ds. I’ve forwarded images to friends using medium format digital, D800E, the black and white Leica M (he does get some beautiful images from it), but only one of them has expressed any interest or curiosity in these cameras (he bought the DP3M). I think this is because of perception they have (which I shared) about a clunky little point and shoot from a company other than one of the major players.

I wonder what the next camera from Sigma will be like? I hope they incorporate a viewfinder. It would help both in steading the camera at slower shutter speeds, and when, like yesterday, I was trying to see the effect of the polarizer on the rear LCD in bright sunlight.

Pete_G

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 09:35:52 am »

I have noticed a couple of things.

1. The delayed extra exposure happens when the AES function is activated, I have mine set to AES-AFL, I can't seem to replicate the fault with AES switched off.

2. Like most people I tend to softly squeeze the shutter release, which means that there is roughly a half second delay before releasing it after exposure. I have the feeling this may be a factor too.

Sigma UK say they are unaware of the problem, but will take a look at the camera. I would hate to be parted from it, so I'm going to do some more testing and try to alter my shutter release technique, and see how it goes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up