Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would using a DB with a view camera usefully save weight?  (Read 3282 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
Would using a DB with a view camera usefully save weight?
« on: July 25, 2013, 03:05:07 am »

I want to go back-packing with my Credo back and I was thinking that getting a Horseman DB View Camera Converter and some large format wide-angle lenses would be lighter and more versatile than my present setup which uses a Flexbody (which has less movement options than the View Camera Converter but may be lighter) and Hasselblad lenses (most often, the 40mm IF lens and sometimes the 150mm lens) which I guess are heavier than the equivalent view camera lenses.

But then I understand that view camera lenses may not be as sharp as Hasselblad lenses at comparable apertures because they are generally designed for use on larger film formats and do not have to produce the fine resolution required for 120 film and digital equivalents.

So, my questions are:

1.   Would large format wide-angle lenses be lighter than the equivalent Hasselblad V series lenses?

2.   Would large format lenses be just as sharp as the equivalent Hasselblad V series lenses at the same apertures or would I have to stop down further to get the same sharpness?

3.   Would my plan to use a View Camera Converter and large format lenses give me enough weight saving to be worthwhile, say, 1kg or more?

Any assistance would be appreciated. I think I want to be steered away from the purchase of another camera outfit!!!
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
Re: Would using a DB with a view camera usefully save weight?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 03:23:34 am »

Hi Roger,

Back last century one thing I noticed when shooting on my Sinar P2 using large format lenses was when I used a 120 roll film back the trannie images looked sharper under my loop on a light table than they did with the 4x5 inch trannies.

I was speaking to a rep from Kodak about this and he told me it was to do the the thickness of the emulsion of the film. So if he right and I think he was the large format lenses should be as sharp as your Hasselblad lenses and much lighter on your DB back.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Ken R

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 03:28:39 am »

I would say that one of the smaller Alpas or an Arca Factum combined with schneider lenses and your Credo back would make for a VERY compact and light setup compared to any setup that includes medium format slr lenses. Well suited for backpacking IMHO.

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 04:58:01 am »

Thank you both for your replies.

I crossed the Arcbody off my list because I understand certain shots require you to invert the camera using a special bracket and I am not sure if both standards tilt. Also, it is very expensive.

Arca Swiss are also pricey but I have found this old 6x9 one but it would need a lens and a Hasselblad V back adapter. I think back adapter plates are around second-hand?

Any idea what the widest angle suitable lens would be?
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

MNG

• www.ngfoto.com
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 04:55:22 am »

Hi Roger, I would advise against buying the 6x9 Arca or earlier large format lenses as they were not designed for use with digital backs. Trying to focus on the ground glass screen would be too difficult as well as the non rigid nature of the standards to keep the digital film plane flat. I would say go for one of the tech camera mentioned earlier. I use an Alpa max and a H2 system but do not go backpacking. The H2 system is heavier but it depends what your subject is and how many lenses you need and how many days your away from a power source. Good luck with your decision. Michael

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 06:16:41 am »

Thank you for your comments, Michael.

I do not understand your reference to keeping "the digital film plane flat" or the "non rigid nature of the standards.

My back is a Credo 60 and it has Liveview which also allows me to zoom in. I was counting on composing and focusing with that. That works with my Flexbody arrangement. Do you still think I will have problems?

Also, I do expect the standards to be rigid. In what way do you consider them to be non rigid?
Roger

Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

MNG

• www.ngfoto.com
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 09:10:49 am »

Hi Roger, with film the actual thickness of the film is a lot more compared to a digital back, so a camera for a digital back needs much smaller tolerances in the manufacturing process to ensure it keeps the digital back as flat as possible.  The monorail design of the camera you are considering is not rigid enough and focusing would be challenging, even if you use live view on your Credo60. Hope this helps Michael.

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 09:58:46 am »

Its not that a film-based view camera can't work - it can and will. What is at issue are the tolerances, and as you move things around, the acceptable "give" in a film based camera will drive you nuts. Just as a rule of thumb, one might assume digital backs tolerate less than 1/10th the movement of film (probably much less), so that the .1mm tolerance in a film standard (just for discussion) won't work so well. Digital backs are extremely precise and demanding of precision - thus the change to geared movements by all the camera makers some years back.  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:19:39 pm by Geoffreyg »
Geoff

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 07:03:46 am »

Thank you, all.

I now understand why finely geared view cameras are the way to go.

I have read a bit about an Arca Swiss 6x9 model F with Orbix which allows fine movements and I am now trying to find out what other 6x9 view cameras also have fine gears.
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Pics2

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 02:09:37 pm »

Thank you, all.

I now understand why finely geared view cameras are the way to go.

I have read a bit about an Arca Swiss 6x9 model F with Orbix which allows fine movements and I am now trying to find out what other 6x9 view cameras also have fine gears.

There are Arca Swiss M line two, Cambo Ultima 23, Toyo View 23D all made with digital backs in mind.
However, I would recommend you to try traditional 45 view camera first, since these are much cheaper. Maybe you'll find them precise enough. I have Cambo SCX (bought second hand around 300 euro) and I use it with IQ back without problems. But I don't use wide angle.

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 02:40:13 pm »

Thank you, Pics2, but my aim was to find a system light enough for me to take backpacking and it seems to me that the cameras you mention and a 4x5 camera would all be heavier and/or bulkier than the Arca Swiss F 6x9 which weighs about 2.2kg.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand
Pages: [1]   Go Up