Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flaps Down  (Read 981 times)

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
Flaps Down
« on: July 12, 2013, 01:58:36 am »

Now that I'm getting better with focussing the M.Zuiko 75-300, I'm trying to catch some action shots.

Is this a decent photo angle?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Flaps Down
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 03:20:30 am »

It works for me. Well done!

Jeremy

francois

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 03:40:24 am »

My first reaction was that the square crop was too tight but after a few seconds with this photo, I must say that I like it a lot. The wings and the neck/tail make a perfect cross.
Well seen!
Francois

stamper

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 03:56:12 am »

The blue on the feathers seems at odds with the water. I would have expected to see some blue in the water. Have you heavily processed the image? As to the subject and composition then you have succeeded but possibly a different rendering of the image would help?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 09:38:45 am »

I'm with Stamper. The only thing that bothers me is the blue shadows. I'd suggest trying to get them closer to gray, and perhaps reducing vignetteing a bit so that the sunlit parts of the wings are still white.

Other than that, it's a fine shot. Capturing birds in motion is challenging, and you've done that very well.

Eric M.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Isaac

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 12:37:31 pm »

The blue on the feathers seems at odds with the water.

That's a shadow color, the highly scattered wavelengths that have reached into the shadow.

I would have expected to see some blue in the water.

You can - in the ripple shadows.

In effect there are 2 evening light sources - the reddish less-scattered sun light and the bluish light scattered throughout the atmosphere - only one of which reaches the shadows.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 02:57:50 pm by Isaac »

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 02:14:39 pm »

Hi All,

Thanks very much for all the comments and suggestions. Here are some words to go with the photo.

I'm travelling and can't edit from the original right now, but I can say that i did not add post capture vignetting, and I tried to stay close to the original colors. I did shift shadows down a bit toward black point after boosting contrast a bit.

The original Raw file had somewhat less intense separation between shadows and highlights, and a bit less saturation, but the hue and broad luminosity range was because of the angle of light that I caught quite intentionally from an angle that would hopefully bring out some drama. The opposite shore was in shadow already and the feathers and tops of wavelets were lit up much brighter than the rest.

One aspect that I wanted to see were the muscular ripples on the back which often get blown out in white highlights when the sun is higher off the water. Other than the light to dark contrast combined with the geometric composition, I also picked this frame because of the just before landing feeling I empathized with from the bird's posture and general demeanor at the moment of dipping his toes in the water. The cross breeze and ruffled feathers are different, in hopefully an interesting way, compared to what is usually presented in birding pictures.

I almost didn't post it since I'm flying out of SFO and can't help but think about the unsuccesful landing a little while back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up