Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bristlecone Pines "Patriarch Tree" location?  (Read 1399 times)

mshea

Bristlecone Pines "Patriarch Tree" location?
« on: July 08, 2013, 09:51:38 am »

Hi All,

Decided to re-post this here, since it probably gets more traffic.

I've explored the White Mountains Bristlecone groves many times but, surprisingly, only became aware of the existence of the Patriarch tree this year. We're headed out there in a couple of days. Does anyone have the coordidates for it? Failing that, do you know the general direction/distance from the Patriarch Grove parking lot? (I realize this isn't the Methuselah Tree.) If not, I'll just ask at the Sherman Grove info office. Such a shame it was vandalized and glad they've been able to re-build it.

Thanks a lot!

Merrill

Philip Weber

Re: Bristlecone Pines "Patriarch Tree" location?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:02:57 pm »

I was just there in May and, due to snow over the last patch of road, had to hike about one mile up to the grove. It was worth it though as No One else was around, especially at dawn the next day, and the area is beautiful. By now, snow won't be an issue.

I don't have any coordinates, but THE Patriarch Tree in the Patriarch Grove is approx. 100-200 feet from the parking lot at the top, has a sign and is very easy to see due to it's size. You won't have any trouble finding it.

If you plan to see the ancients in the Schulman Grove, be prepared for a 4-mile loop hike and in any event, take more water than you think you'll need. The combination of all the elements at those elevations (approx. 11,000 & 10,000 feet respectively) makes for a very desiccating environment.

I hope this is helpful. It's an awesome location and the trees are amazing and beautiful photographic subjects.
Phil 

mshea

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 04:40:21 pm »

Hmm, then I must have seen it and not realized it, seeing as I've scoured the area for quite a few hundred yards in every direction from the parking lot over the years.

Yes, the Schulman Grove is wonderful too. Though for whatever reason, I seem to have come home with more memorable shots from the Patriarch Grove. The Patriarch trees are more scattered (perhaps because of the higher altitude) which makes it easier to isolate interesting shapes from distracting backgrounds.

Thanks,

Merrill

Philip Weber

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 04:55:33 pm »

There's a metal plaque on a large white stone in front of the tree, basically level with the lot...you'll see it.

PW
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:04:31 pm by Philip Weber »

dougster_ling

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 11:26:59 am »

If you have the time and desire to see other great trees in that area there are day hikes into the back country.

doug
Pages: [1]   Go Up