Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maligne Lake  (Read 2137 times)

ahbnyc

Maligne Lake
« on: July 08, 2013, 08:08:39 am »

Thoughts or comments?

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Re: Maligne Lake
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:30:59 am »

I love the exposure and the colors.  The subject matter is great.  The little bit of blue sky peeking through is quite intriguing. The layering of the composition is really interesting--silhouetted trees, silhouetted points in lake, far mountains, and very far mountains.  

Overall, this is a really good effort, but...the crop on the left-hand side is really problematic for me. The edge is too close to the peak of the mountain and (perhaps more problematically) the tree is half cropped off.  The right hand tree silhouettes are great.  The left hand side is jarring. Cropping further on the left would probably throw the balance off.  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:53:22 am by fike »
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 09:48:27 am »

I love the exposure and the colors.  The subject matter is very great.  The little bit of blue sky peeking through is quite intriguing. The layering of the composition is really interesting--silhouetted trees, silhouetted points in late, far mountains, and very far mountains.
I'm defintely with the previous  poster...there is a lot to love about this image...really great! Some options, I would look at it with some crop adjustments - the tree on left is an issue for me as well...if there was a little more of the left hand side of the view available that might be better...a little more tree...and a little more dark shoreline to balance that on right. Lastly I would look at it with a fractional amount cropped off the top...1/20th"...for me there is a lot of dark nearly monotonal gray...against the very very subtle image elements.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:56:02 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

ahbnyc

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 10:48:09 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.  I really lucked out with the light.  I agree that the tree on the left doesn't look quite right.  I have attached another shot which doesn't have the stuff in the left foreground -- as suggested, it does look a bit unbalanced, but on reflection I think I like it better than the first.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:38:10 am »

you are right it is a bit unbalanced, but it IS better than the first. 
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

francois

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 11:00:29 am »

The square version is definitely an improvement. It is simpler and I like it a lot. The initial version was more balanced but the trees on the left were closing the image too much.
Francois

nemo295

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 11:43:12 am »

This is once instance where the crop works. Great shot.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 02:06:40 pm »

better
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

AFairley

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 04:47:15 pm »

I'll be contrary and say I don't like the second crop as much, I like the way the first crop anchors the foreground and left side.  That said, I would move the crop a little further to the left, assuming the nature of the trees there would allow it.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 05:11:43 pm »

OP better compositionally. A larger mass closer to center needs a smaller mass further away from center in order to balance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up