Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 34   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Richard Snowden a heroe or a criminal?  (Read 193302 times)

Isaac

Re: Is Richard Snowden a heroe or a criminal?
« Reply #280 on: July 18, 2013, 11:53:42 am »

Isaac

« Reply #281 on: July 18, 2013, 12:04:46 pm »

Dear Lord save us from the impossible cant.

It seems you wish to benefit but not be burdened by Kant.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #282 on: July 18, 2013, 12:05:00 pm »

Former President of the USA, Jimmy Carter, comments that the USA is no longer a functional democracy and that Snowden's leaks are ultimately beneficial:

The man's been making ignorant remarks like this ever since his incompetence got him blown out of the presidency. Considering his record, why would anybody listen to him, much less quote him?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #283 on: July 18, 2013, 12:55:00 pm »

The man's been making ignorant remarks like this ever since his incompetence got him blown out of the presidency. Considering his record, why would anybody listen to him, much less quote him?

Because every news outlet needs/wants a bump in ratings and/or ad revenues. He's got nothing to do with useful facts.
~ CB

Isaac

« Reply #284 on: July 18, 2013, 01:04:13 pm »

Presumably because like you they have an opinion on his record.

RSL

« Reply #285 on: July 18, 2013, 02:18:55 pm »

You don't really need an opinion. His record is his record. As Casey said, "You could look it up."

Isaac

« Reply #286 on: July 18, 2013, 02:38:47 pm »

So you have no opinion about what material should be included or what sources should be included?

Rob C

« Reply #287 on: July 18, 2013, 03:00:20 pm »

In your world, Rob, the intersection of left/right and right/wrong always seem to result in only one combination: left=wrong and right=right? ;)

The intersection always results in disaster for one faction or the other; even coalitions fail in the end because they represent neither fish nor foul.

However, in this instance, there is no intersection because it's a clear-cut case of treachery towards the mother country or, if you prefer, the fatherland.

The reference to the left is forced upon me in this case - I assume you to alluded to my previous post? - because they are inevitably the ones marching down the avenue flying the red flag, regardless of the reason for the march. You could call a demonstration for more severe or even more liberal dog licences, and the faithful reds would come out with the banners. It's what they do. It's their raison d'ĂȘtre. All of the post-industrial lands have them in abundance. That's generally why they became post-industrial lands; a measure of red success, if you will.

;-)

Rob C

RSL

« Reply #288 on: July 18, 2013, 03:21:53 pm »

So you have no opinion about what material should be included or what sources should be included?
The whole can of worms, Isaac. You haven't deigned to tell us how old you are, so from what you're saying I have to assume you're young enough that all you know about the Carter administration is what outfits like CNN, NBC, ABC, NPR  and the NYT tell you. I was there. I lived through that period. I don't have to guess how bad it was.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #289 on: July 18, 2013, 04:35:01 pm »

I don't have to guess how bad it was.
Indeed... nothing to bomb I guess... did they pay less because of that  ;) ?

Isaac

« Reply #290 on: July 18, 2013, 04:57:45 pm »

I was there. I lived through that period.

Is it your opinion that your memories of your experiences, during that period, form the record by which President Carter should be judged?

dreed

« Reply #291 on: July 18, 2013, 05:13:37 pm »

He's a former president of the USA, that's why.

Competency is a matter of perspective and some would argue that there have been those that have served since and that have served their two terms have been worse.

RSL

« Reply #292 on: July 18, 2013, 05:24:02 pm »

Let me guess. . . Maybe he hasn't finished his second term.

RSL

« Reply #293 on: July 18, 2013, 05:24:52 pm »

Is it your opinion that your memories of your experiences, during that period, form the record by which President Carter should be judged?

Sorry, Isaac. First you're going to have to tell me how old you are.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #294 on: July 18, 2013, 05:31:51 pm »

I 'd assume, RSL, you shall not reference anything before WWII then... ever... if that is your position whether person shall live through something and remember in person how it was to write... and please no references to China, Russia, Syria, Iran, etc - you did not live there either...

Isaac

« Reply #295 on: July 18, 2013, 06:19:54 pm »

I suppose you don't wish to acknowledge that -- "I was there. I lived through that period. I don't have to guess how bad it was." -- makes you sole witness, judge and jury.

As Casey said, "You could look it up."

That isn't what you're doing.

RSL

« Reply #296 on: July 18, 2013, 06:28:52 pm »

That isn't what you're doing.

I was there, Isaac. I don't need to look it up. If you weren't there and you don't know the history YOU need to look it up.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #297 on: July 18, 2013, 07:02:58 pm »

I 'd assume, RSL, you shall not reference anything before WWII then... ever... if that is your position whether person shall live through something and remember in person how it was to write... and please no references to China, Russia, Syria, Iran, etc - you did not live there either...

That's a good point.

We all rely on various third party information sources to make up our minds.

It used to be that people used to be divided in 2 groups: the well traveled ones who did go to places to check for themselves, and the others who didn't have the privileged to do so.

Now we tend to think that we know because the one newspaper we like says so...

Cheers,
Bernard

Isaac

« Reply #298 on: July 18, 2013, 07:08:39 pm »

I was there, Isaac. I don't need to look it up. If you weren't there and you don't know the history YOU need to look it up.

You were there. Were you privy to all information? Are you blessed with perfect recall?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #299 on: July 18, 2013, 07:17:27 pm »

... It used to be that people used to be divided in 2 groups: the well traveled ones who did go to places to check for themselves, and the others who didn't have the privileged to do so...

Like my music (god vs. bad, not classical vs. rock), I tend to group people into two groups too: smart vs. stupid (pardon the simplification). Even when well-traveled, stupid people tend to see what they want to see, in order to confirm their preexisting opinion. While smart people can draw smart conclusions even from third party sources. You know, like the black-box concept: you do not know what is going on inside, but if you know what comes in and what comes out, you can figure it out pretty well.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 34   Go Up