Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mendocino  (Read 1643 times)

bdosserman

Mendocino
« on: July 01, 2013, 11:44:05 pm »

Hi everyone,
   I'd really appreciate comments on the attached shots. I'd like to hear artistic comments, but also, my plan is to use them to decorate a vacation house, so they will have a secondary purpose of advertising area attractions. So I'd appreciate opinions on which are most effective in that direction, and/or how they could be improved.
   Thanks!

Brian

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Mendocino
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 03:24:11 am »

The two that grab my attention are #1 and #3. Of those, #1 is by far the better; I think it would be improved by removing a small strip from the top, so it becomes just a shot of the beach.

Jeremy

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 04:53:00 am »

I find #1 the most interesting one. The others I find are more "mundane" and general vistas, with uninteresting sky. So #1 really grabs my attention, with the wonderful light and sand patterns and textures.

francois

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 05:23:24 am »

I like #1 best. It has plenty of texture and the light gives depth to the wind-sculpted sand. Image #2 isn't as interesting... there's not much to discover. On the other hand, image #3 is much better with good foreground and great beach/wave/ocean. The last image could be improved with better light conditions and perhaps with a panoramic that would open the view to the left. In this case, you'll need to return and reshoot!
Francois

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 09:17:57 am »

Another vote for #1, and Jeremy's suggested crop.

Eric M.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

bdosserman

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 09:57:33 am »

Hi,
   Thanks for all your comments. I have found the sand dunes there to be a challenging subject!
   For the first shot, it hadn't occurred to me to crop further off the top (perhaps because at the time I was shooting, I was paying a lot of attention to the mist rising from the sand).
   For the fourth shot, I thought it came out decently, but I really would have liked a wider lens (or an adequate setup for stitching). I'll definitely have to go back and try that one again.
   Here are a couple more; again, I'd appreciate any comments!

Brian

Isaac

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 05:52:03 pm »

to decorate a vacation house, so they will have a secondary purpose of advertising area attractions

Take some golden hour photos of the buildings downtown.

Take some photos of the "Best View of Mendocino".

Take some sunset photos from the "Mendocino Headlands".

You give us those nice bright colors
You give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 06:01:57 pm by Isaac »

bdosserman

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 12:46:56 am »

Hi Isaac,

Take some golden hour photos of the buildings downtown.

Take some photos of the "Best View of Mendocino".

Take some sunset photos from the "Mendocino Headlands".

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will likely get around to some shooting in Mendocino proper (and I do love the headlands), but as I
probably should have said initially, the house is actually located just north of Cleone. My impression
is that for most people Mendocino and ocean views are the point of going to that area, so I'm
initially focusing more on letting people know about some of the attractions further north
(mostly MacKerricher and thereabouts) to try to make it clear what's special about it, so
that hopefully they won't just view it as inconveniently far from what they're actually
interested in. I grew up with the dunes and love them, so I'm particularly hoping to convey some of
that.

Best,

Brian

Isaac

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 03:14:19 am »

letting people know about some of the attractions further north

fwiw none of these photos show attractive people having fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up