Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any chance SONY might pull a "Merrill" with their RX1 fixed lens system?  (Read 1600 times)

Codger

Good reviews continue to come in for the SONY full-frame fixed lens compact cameras.  The latest iteration, the RX1r, continues the run (no AA), but a recurring review comment is about there not being an alternate focal length.  The Merrill DMs, with three popular focal lengths, keep the benefits of lenses matched and optimized to their sensors, sealed operation (no sensor dirt), compact size and excellent image capture.  The SONY is larger and costs more (a bit over twice on both points), certainly, but would serious shooters accept the idea of carrying two SONYs of different focal lengths?  The investment would be comparable to a D800 with two fast Zeiss primes.  Would SONY do this?

douglasf13

Good reviews continue to come in for the SONY full-frame fixed lens compact cameras.  The latest iteration, the RX1r, continues the run (no AA), but a recurring review comment is about there not being an alternate focal length.  The Merrill DMs, with three popular focal lengths, keep the benefits of lenses matched and optimized to their sensors, sealed operation (no sensor dirt), compact size and excellent image capture.  The SONY is larger and costs more (a bit over twice on both points), certainly, but would serious shooters accept the idea of carrying two SONYs of different focal lengths?  The investment would be comparable to a D800 with two fast Zeiss primes.  Would SONY do this?

I'm not sure they will, because, as you mention, the cost of these cameras is quite a bit more than the Sigmas.  I use a 35mm lens a large majority of the time, and, while I do use a tele occasionally, I'm not sure that I could justify spending another $3K on one, when I can just toss a 50mm on one of my old aps-c mirrorless cameras.  Much of the advantage of a fixed lens camera is negated when you start talking tele lenses.  Fixed lens cameras in the 35mm-45mm focal length range have been around a while, and I don't recall many fixed lens tele cameras, outside of the new Merrill.  I'd love to see Sony do it, but I'm doubtful.  You probably don't need the tele, anyways!   :) ;)

allegretto

Let's say an RX-2 with a ~75mm fixed...?

Two cameras and eBay everything else

Codger

Yes, 70-75mm sounds about right.  A lot of people would then go the eBay "diet."

MoreOrLess

I think if we see another its more likely it'll have a short zoom.

allegretto

will have to be significantly larger and slower for that.

They already have a compact system.. NEX
Pages: [1]   Go Up