Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some old Nikkor zooms on the D 800  (Read 951 times)

deanwork

Some old Nikkor zooms on the D 800
« on: June 28, 2013, 01:59:54 pm »

I have been playing around with some old Nikkor zooms that I've inherited that are in mint condition to see if I may find some use for them with my D 800.

To my surprise the 35-105 # 2041048 fires fine and with manual focus and exposure looks normal ( though I'm not delusional about its potential resolution).

The 70-210 E series # 2079011 fires and exposes normally as well, with no auto focus.

Unfortunately the 75-300 AF Nikkor, F 1.45-5.6 # is not firing at all using the same tested Auto and Manual settings. But the strange thing is that the auto focus is working normally. I see no serial # on this thing which is odd.

This is the first day I've used the D 800 so I'm not clear on all the potential manual settings.

Is there some setting I could try to make the shutter fire with this lens?

Also I have found that my truly ancient but very sharp and well preserved prime Nikkor 105 E series is working fine on this camera, as is an old 50mm, with manual exposure and focus of course.

john

RFPhotography

Re: Some old Nikkor zooms on the D 800
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 06:20:39 pm »

Not sure why you're surprised that the lenses work.  That's one of the pluses of the Nikon system.  Older lenses have the same mount and will work fine on newer cameras.  At least, most of the newer cameras.  Some of the AF lenses won't work on some of the lower end digital bodies that don't have the screw drive mechanism.  WRT the AF lens that isn't working, that is strange, particularly if it won't work even in manual focus mode.  In AF mode, there is a setting in the menus for focus priority or shot priority.  Don't remember what setting it is and don't have the camera with me to check, but you could try switching that to shot priority if it isn't already to see if that makes a difference.

deanwork

Re: Some old Nikkor zooms on the D 800
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 09:33:50 pm »

Thanks Bob. I'll try that.

john

Pages: [1]   Go Up