Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement for Epson R 2400 Printer  (Read 2288 times)

warmtone

Replacement for Epson R 2400 Printer
« on: June 22, 2013, 01:31:35 am »

Hi I have just joined this Forum and would appreciate advice on upgrading my printer

After 5 years of relatively trouble free printing  I have decided its time to look at upgrade options. In Australia Epson has cash back offers at the moment on the Epson 3000 and 4900 and larger but not 3880.

I am not a professional or "high volume printer" - but I want to substantially improve my print quality and take advantage of improvements in technology with the new wider gamut inks.
I had planned to buy an Epson 4900 to provide a robust solution that would provide the quality and flexibility for larger exhibition  prints.

(Yes I know the 3880 is infinitely more reliable and generally loved by owners but it is getting a bit long in the tooth .... with the older ink sets)

Every review of the Epson 4900 has highlighted it's wide colour gamut, superb print quality capabilities, substantial build quality and ability to handle various media sizes with ease.
Apart from its huge size this machine would easily meet my requirements for some time - particularly in colour performance.  But unfortunately reliability of the X900 series and this printer in particular seems to be a major problem. This site is full of horror stories and clearly this model is not for the faint hearted! 

What is hard to figure out is how many of these machines (percentage wise)  are really causing trouble and how many are not.
Australian dealers tell me only the "odd printer" is problematic...... and problems are grossly over represented on the internet.   

I personally don't agree I see plenty of balanced feedback and many epson owners are very satisfied (eg 3000 and 3880 models) and happy to report this fact.
Feedback on the Epson 4900 on Amazon.com is a worry and  Epson should read the reviews - they all have a consistent theme -  head clogging/failure issues. Its sad to see a flagship printer with so much potential with a one star rating.

I have spent some time reading the various threads and the excellent review from Mark D Segal and his ownership experience with this machine and clearly the 4900 is capable of outstanding results
This view is echoed in all other reviews I have read so a properly working 4900 is undoubtedly a gem. 

There is a huge amount of experience available on this site with Epson Pro printers and I am very grateful for the frank discussions and sharing sharing of experience good and bad that that is taking place.
A few contributors have clearly put their heart and soul into finding solutions for the head clogging issue...... which is still unresolved.

As an observation it seems Epson are not treating the 4900 head clogging/premature failure issue and numerous customer complaints seriously. 

I personally don't understand what Epson expects to gain by not proactively dealing with this matter - their current approach will lose many previously faithful pro customers.
We can all accept that pushing the technology envelope can sometimes cause some pain when new models are released but we expect manufacturers like Epson to step up and treat obvious design/production issues seriously.

I have written to Epson (Australia) and stated my interest in buying their 4900 - but raised the head reliability issue as a matter of concern.
I have highlighted the numerous problems reported by end users everywhere and I have sought written assurance from Epson that this issue has been resolved in current production units.

Clearly my purchase of this printer is conditional on Epson restoring my low confidence in the product.

My expectation is that a company like Epson is very serious about ongoing quality improvements and since this issue has now been apparent for several years there is no excuse for not having a fix. 
By now we should be seeing the X900 MK2 versions! I think it is important for Epson to know that new buyers like myself are wary of  buying high cost professional printers that are less reliable  than low end prosumer models. 

I would be happy to share the response from Epson but understand that if I do purchase one of these units I will need to take out a 3 year warranty - extra $500 for peace of mind,  use it often and take care with cleaning cycles.   

Incidentally the Epson 4900 currently costs AU$3000 - AU$2500 with cash back.   The 3880 is about AU$1900 - not much cheaper  - hence my lack of enthusiasm for high cost old technology.

I would be interested in hearing from Epson 4900 users who have had a positive experience - there must be a few happy owners out there?

Brian

dpirazzi

Re: Replacement for Epson R 2400 Printer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 03:07:51 am »

Brian,

My 4900 performed very well for the first ~14 months, then developed serious problems that were going to cost more to fix than I paid for the printer. I decided to cut my losses.

I was dissapointed that Epson would not help, all they would do was refer me to repair shops in my area. But since I did not buy the extended warranty, there was no legal obligation on thier part.

While the printer worked, I was a very satisfied owner. It produced excellent output and gave me very little greif.

Do 5% of 4900s experience serious problems, or is it 50%? Someone at Epson probably knows, but the're not talking. Hell hath no fury like the owner of a dead 4900, and they tend to vent on the forums. Meanwhile, satisfied owners just go on printing. There is simply no way for us consumers to know what the failure profile looks like, or why Epson has not acknowledged problems (maybe it is only 5%).

If the 4900 meets your needs better than other models, go for it. Be aware that there is a chance you will need expensive repairs at some point, and if that causes you to lose sleep, consider the extended warranty. 

Hope this helps, but I'm guessing it won't...

Dave

warmtone

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 04:32:26 am »

Hi Dave,  thanks for sharing your experience.  I am sorry that your 4900 failed so early and that Epson did not provide a bit more support.
You did not say specifically what the problem was with your machine was it head failure?

Irrespective of cause 14 months is a disgrace for a professional grade printer of this calibre to be trashed - and reflects badly on Epson.
Even though the printer was out of warranty if the problem was head failure epson should have met you half way with a cost effective replacement.
Customer Management 101 - what happened to ethics?

Your point re extended warranty is noted  and the only way to mitigate the risks of ownership.  THe cost actually looks cheap compared to trashing the machine or face $1500 repair costs.

The joke is my R2400 has rarely missed a beat after 5 years of use.

And if i buy a 4900  I will make sure the Epson warranty is fully exploited in case of issues.

Brian

gbillett

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 07:24:33 am »

I'm in the same situation with the 3800.  The stories about about the x900 means I'll keep away.  When I do upgrade I'll consider the Canon series. Shame cos Epson have a great pedigree.
Geoff Billett
www.geoffreybillettphotography.co.uk
www.spanishcivilwarphotography.co.uk

Author From Earth to Air   and Gateway to Nirvana
Photographs from Andalucia and the 2013 Kumbh Mela

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 09:24:37 am »

Yes I know the 3880 is infinitely more reliable and generally loved by owners but it is getting a bit long in the tooth .... with the older ink sets
Might I suggest you get a sample print from each printer you're considering, made from one of your own images, and see if the difference in ink set is actually significant to you.
If the differences aren't that compelling it may be better to go with the older, proven and reliable 3880, rather than gamble with the newer models for little end gain.

dpirazzi

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 09:46:12 pm »

You did not say specifically what the problem was with your machine was it head failure?

The LLK channel dropped out completely, I tried for weeks to bring it back with various cleaning/printing combos but no luck.

The Epson authorized service center said they were not sure what the problem was, but thought it was probably the damper, which was replaced for ~$350, plus I had to buy a maintenance tank due to the amount of ink used in the replacement.

Things did not improve. The next step was going to be replacing the head, and that was going to mean buying 4 or 5 more ink carts (that were now too low to prime the printer again after head replacement). The cost was going to be ~$1800, and they could not guarantee the printer would work afterwards. They recommended against proceeding. Btw, I paid around $1200 for the printer on sale.

While they had my printer (about 3 weeks) they had two other 4900s go through the shop, both had head replacements and worked fine afterwards. Both were owned by businesses and had seen lots of use.

Personally, I never buy extended warranties and this experience has not changed my mind. If printing was my business, I might think differently. Keep in mind the cost of consumables (ink, maintenance tanks) are not covered by the extended warranty and repairs can use quite a bit of ink.

My two previous Epsons worked for many years without issues. I gave my R1800 to a friend and it is still going strong.

Good luck with your decision!

Dave

warmtone

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 10:13:11 pm »

The LLK channel dropped out completely, I tried for weeks to bring it back with various cleaning/printing combos but no luck.

The Epson authorized service center said they were not sure what the problem was, but thought it was probably the damper, which was replaced for ~$350, plus I had to buy a maintenance tank due to the amount of ink used in the replacement.

Things did not improve. The next step was going to be replacing the head, and that was going to mean buying 4 or 5 more ink carts (that were now too low to prime the printer again after head replacement). The cost was going to be ~$1800, and they could not guarantee the printer would work afterwards. They recommended against proceeding. Btw, I paid around $1200 for the printer on sale.

While they had my printer (about 3 weeks) they had two other 4900s go through the shop, both had head replacements and worked fine afterwards. Both were owned by businesses and had seen lots of use.

Personally, I never buy extended warranties and this experience has not changed my mind. If printing was my business, I might think differently. Keep in mind the cost of consumables (ink, maintenance tanks) are not covered by the extended warranty and repairs can use quite a bit of ink.

My two previous Epsons worked for many years without issues. I gave my R1800 to a friend and it is still going strong.

Good luck with your decision!

Dave

Hi Dave - my fears confirmed re likely head failure  -  my enthusiasm for this printer is running out rapidly.

It will be interesting to see how  Epson Australia responds to my enquiry - they have a lot of convincing to do before I will buy the 4900.

Still waiting to hear from 4900 users who have had a positive experience  with this printer!!!!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:42:05 am by warmtone »

warmtone

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 07:07:54 am »

Might I suggest you get a sample print from each printer you're considering, made from one of your own images, and see if the difference in ink set is actually significant to you.
If the differences aren't that compelling it may be better to go with the older, proven and reliable 3880, rather than gamble with the newer models for little end gain.

Hi thanks for your suggestion.  While I have not yet had the opportunity to compare printers as you suggest I have sought advice from a highly regarded Melbourne Fine Art Photographer
who uses a 9880 and 9900 large format printers and has used the 3880 extensively.  This person teaches digital photography and works as a colour consultant to professionals. He has also had extensive experience with the 4900.

He advised that the difference between the 880 and 900 models is far less than some reviews would suggest.  The gamut differences are measurable but not necessarily visible in most prints.
His indications were that the x900 machines were very reliable provided they were properly maintained and humidity levels were controlled.

He fully recommended the 3880 as an alternative to the 4900 indicating that for most photographers it was a more practical investment (smaller size) with rock solid reliability and a major step up from the R 2400 machine i am using.  It was indicated that the 80ml tanks were the "sweet spot" for printing economy for non professionals and that the 4900 would require significant further investment in inks once the machine was initially installed.  Apparently the 4900 needs a solid charge of inks to get it primed!

It seems I have under estimated how good the colour performance of the 3880 is despite its age ........so your point is taken!
Pages: [1]   Go Up