Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeiss on the Fujifilm X-cameras  (Read 5684 times)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Zeiss on the Fujifilm X-cameras
« on: June 19, 2013, 11:22:11 am »

After reading Michaels field test article he was mentioning that there does not seem to be a much difference in IQ between the Zeiss 12mm and the Fuji 14mm. I have seen quite a few "field" reviews, from some possibly less qualified people, that seem to indicate that they Zeiss is quite a bit softer in the corners and not up to snuff with other Zeiss wide angles, like the dslr 18mm and 21mm lenses. Most people seem to indicate that the 14mm is sharper in the corners than the Zeiss, has anyone else taken a look and compared these two lenses? Just curious if there are some people on this forum who are using the Zeiss 12mm. I was hoping that that Zeiss would have the wonderful micro contrast seen in other Zeiss lenses.

Thanks,
Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

mlondon

• The Spirit of Tea
Re: Zeiss on the Fujifilm X-cameras
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 07:30:39 pm »

Did you ever make a decision? Curious what you chose and if you are happy with it.
www.spiritoftea.com

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept" Ansel Adams

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:29:11 pm »

I got the Fuji 14mm and could not be happier, super sharp lens, well corrected. Well worth the money and did not see any reason to spend the money on the Zeiss. I am sure the Zeiss is a great lens but I am happy with the 14mm.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

EinstStein

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 04:40:33 pm »

You get the on-camera compensation with native lens, I doubt you'll see any benefit with any third party lens, including Leica and Zeiss,... unless someday Fujifilm add the Zeiss's lens profile in their firmware.
same thing applies to Sony and M43 camera bodies.

pluton

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 04:21:45 am »

I've been shooting with an XE1 and 14mm for over a year and a half, along with the "old reliable" Nikon with ZF lenses.  Today, I took out the ZF 21mm on the Nikon D800, and except for the more desirable 36MP of the Nikon, the immediately noticeable and bothersome distortion and cyan shading of the ZF 21mm made me miss the Fuji 14mm.

EinstStein

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 12:02:07 pm »

I am surprised how come no lens compensation plug-in for LR, Adobe or third party.
Maybe there are not enough users using Zeiss lens on FJ or Sony? Without lens compensation, there would be fewer users? Trapped in the loop!
Zeiss should work hard to fix this problem!

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 08:59:15 pm »

I am surprised how come no lens compensation plug-in for LR, Adobe or third party.
Maybe there are not enough users using Zeiss lens on FJ or Sony? Without lens compensation, there would be fewer users? Trapped in the loop!

Won't the Adobe Lens Profile Creator do the job?

EinstStein

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 01:17:12 am »

Don't know how to use it. For most of, it's only a solution if it's a lens profile, ready to use.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 01:30:41 am »

Hi,

In general, Fuji has a great reputation for making great lenses.

Best regards
Erik

I got the Fuji 14mm and could not be happier, super sharp lens, well corrected. Well worth the money and did not see any reason to spend the money on the Zeiss. I am sure the Zeiss is a great lens but I am happy with the 14mm.

Alan

Erik Kaffehr

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 10:09:33 am »

For the Fuji X lenses by Zeiss and for the Fuji brand lenses the profile is in the EXIF. for adapted lenses you need to create one.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Deardorff

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 08:40:27 am »

Have been shooting them both, Fuji 14 and Zeiss 12 and decided to stick with the Zeiss. Main reason is the little bit wider angle which does make a difference in use.

That said all the Fuji gear is being sold as the camera bodies I have tried are too small for my hands. Uncomfortable to use and with winter coming they will be more so with gloves on.

Great images that are clean and beautiful but I miss too many because of the fumbling on a body that is too small for me to handle well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up