Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who is still using film and why?  (Read 33975 times)

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Re: Who is still using film and why?
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2013, 01:16:13 pm »

For people who don't have a lab close or if it's expensive, just do it yourself
I've been doing c41 and e6 for a few weeks now and both MF and 35mm come out great.
When scanning I can correct small colorchances but I have to admit that up until now (15-16 rolls) I've had no problems yet.

Next week I will try some BW. Somehow I started with color developing because I heard it was next to impossible, well after destroying roll 1 all have been good so I think it can be done, do remember I'm scanning not printing so I don't know how critical it is when printing in the darkroom, but with scanning it looks more than good.

DanielStone

« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2013, 02:13:51 pm »

For people who don't have a lab close or if it's expensive, just do it yourself
I've been doing c41 and e6 for a few weeks now and both MF and 35mm come out great.
When scanning I can correct small colorchances but I have to admit that up until now (15-16 rolls) I've had no problems yet.

Next week I will try some BW. Somehow I started with color developing because I heard it was next to impossible, well after destroying roll 1 all have been good so I think it can be done, do remember I'm scanning not printing so I don't know how critical it is when printing in the darkroom, but with scanning it looks more than good.

Color processes(c-41 and E-6) are "standardized" across the board. So Provia 100F's "normal" time according to Fuji is the same "normal" time for Velvia 50, etc...

Same for C-41. The "normal" time is 3:15, however if you DIY, you can adjust it for how YOU want it, exactly. A friend of mine was rating Portra 400 @ asa 100(so a 2 stop overexposure), but PULLING(reducing developing time, especially dangerous w/ c-41 since it's a very short dev time, 3:15min) development so his "normal" time for the look he wanted(low contrast, low saturation) was 2:50. Those 25sec were a HUGE difference time-wise, but after some experimentation, it achieved the look HE wanted, not how Kodak decided it should be. Of course, breaking out of these 'boundaries' that many film photographers impose on themselves can allow them to achieve something that sets their work apart.

I've encountered photographers who used to shoot certain films a special way, color filtration(like an 81C(very warm filter) and a 10R. I tried it and "yuck" said I .... Toooooo garish for ME. But for them, it worked. Oh, they also rated the film @ 1/2 box speed, then pushed it 1.5stops. IDK why, I haven't seen any shots from that particular setup(the film in question, Fuji's MS100-1000) is/was disc'd already.

I personally like the look of Portra 800, rated at 400, then pushed 1/2 stop. Add a slight warming filter(like an 81A) and I have negatives that scan extremely well, the color is nice and inviting(great for shooting people on 6x7/6x8) and it achieves the 'look' *I* want IN THE NEGATIVE(not doing excessive post work after the fact).

long-winded reply I know, but it seems many a photographer are afraid to "step outside the box", even now with digital. But that's their decision, not mine :)

Frank, I just wish Fuji would sell their 5L E-6 6bath kits here in the USA like they do in EU. I'd be going through more E6 film if I could DIY w/o having to buy lab-sized cubitainers of chemistry designed for labs....

cheers,
Dan

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2013, 06:27:55 pm »

At the moment I'm following the rules.
I use the tetanol 5ltr packs.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2013, 06:20:24 am »

Hi,

Tetenal, I presume.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Frank,

you develop your films in the Tetanus vaccine "Tetanol"? I know of Caffenol and Xtol but never heard of a alternative process which uses the vaccine "Tetanol".

Best,
Johannes
Erik Kaffehr

Iluvmycam

« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2013, 03:38:02 pm »

Widelux and SWC is why. But I prefer digital.

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2013, 02:41:56 am »

Oops, I could say "yeah dude the look I get from analogue is SICK" but this was auto correct from my phone :D
Tetenal indeed.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up