Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Most Efficient Memory Configuration  (Read 2270 times)

Steve House

Most Efficient Memory Configuration
« on: June 04, 2013, 09:34:44 am »

Ordering a new build with Asus Sabertooth X79 motherboard and 32 gig RAM.  The board has 8 memory slots.  I could populate them either with 4x8gig modules or 8x4gig modules to get my total of 32. Any advantage of one config versus the other, other than 4x8 leaves for 4 slots still open for future expansion.  One config faster, cooler running, or more reliable than the other?

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Re: Most Efficient Memory Configuration
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 05:49:27 pm »

It really doesn't matter - I'd probably go with 4x8GB sticks if the price wasn't prohibitive.  Remember that memory access on this platform is interleaved making differences in memory such as CAS Latency and Timings much less apparent than on socket 1155 platforms......

fwiw - mainboards with fans make me *very* nervous
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:54:23 pm by John.Murray »

Steve House

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 07:20:48 pm »

Why is that? 

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 12:38:37 am »

No reason to fear fans. 

Go with what leaves you open slots.  No change in performance either way but why limit yourself for a few bucks?

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 09:00:03 am »

In the not too distant past it wasn’t uncommon for cpu cooling fans to seize due to dust build-up after 3 years, give or take. At this point, most vendors have figured out that a slightly larger fan will substantially extend the fan's service life to around 5 or more years before the fan typically fails. Except, of course in dusty environments...

What has remained a problem are the fans used to cool many video/gpu cards. Vendors still use the smallest and thinnest piece o’crap fans they can for video cards and I’ve replaced so many of them after about 2 years or so in service that I now carry about a half a dozen different fans in one of my parts kits. When the fans on a graphics card slows down or nearly stop, all kinds of odd video and other behaviors start to creep in. This problem is so common that I recommend using air in a can to remove the dust from these fans ever year or so.

So anyway, cooling fans can become a time bomb if not watched and cleaned periodically.

WRT memory configuration, as much RAM as the computer will accommodate is always a good guideline, even tho the added RAM translates to added heat for the fans to remove....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:01:42 am by Justan »

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 05:47:50 pm »

Why is that? 

*anything* with moving parts invariably fails - since it's there to dissipate heat, why not a passive cooling solution?  Other board makers have......
Pages: [1]   Go Up