Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to tape-hinge a double mat to the mounting board if the inner mat is smaller  (Read 2943 times)

tyurek

I have a Logan mat cutter and Logan's recommended double-matting process involves the inner matte being cut slightly smaller than the outer mat so that the outer mat (with the larger opening) is used as the edge guide when cutting both openings. I believe this is recommended to guarantee that the openings will be perfectly aligned and concentric since otherwise both mats would have to be identical in outer dimensions with perfectly aligned edges. The other popular recommendation for fixing the mat to the mounting board is simply tape-hinging it along the top edge. But how can you do that with a double mat where the inner mat is slightly smaller than the outer mat? The outer mat is the one that rests edge to edge with the mounting board when you fold it open 180' but when you fold it closed, only the inner mat will be in contact with the mounting board. I can imagine the inner mat being tape-hinged to the mounting board but it seems like alignment won't be so simple. Has anyone done it this way before? Any tips? Or am I creating a problem which doesn't exist :-)

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net

If you mean the outside height of the inner matte board is smaller than the outside height of the outer matte board, then cut a spacer out of a piece of scrap matte to make up the difference and support the smaller inner matte at the bottom.  Can't tell the ins and the outs without a program.  Tape isn't very good at holding things up over long periods of time.

And use some sort of glass or plex glazing.  The rigidity of glass is sometimes to be preferred when you have elaborate matte and art packages, as is adding a rigid support at the back of the package.

framah

When they say that the inner mat should be smaller than the top mat, they mean by only an 1/8' or so around so you would cut the blank 1/4" smaller than the  top mat.
This way, the gap is so small that the tape hinge will work just fine. You can also help this by attaching the inner mat as close to the upper edge of the top mat as possible without it sticking past.
 That is how it is done.

Bills solution works if you have cut the inner mat alot (more than a 1/4 ") smaller than the top mat. Sometimes I only have a piece of inner mat that barely covers the opening in the top mat. In that case I do as Bill does and just fill it... but fill it all the way around so it is even.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up