Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mk3 Wireless  (Read 3141 times)

John S C

Canon 5D Mk3 Wireless
« on: May 29, 2013, 06:02:47 am »

I shoot a fair bit tethered, via a USB cable. However a couple of recent near accidents has made me think that shooting wireless may be a better option

I wonder if any one has used the E7b transmitter and if so how well does it work

Most of the shooting is interior  with the images going to a MacBook Pro. However on occasions some exterior shots are required but usually within 10-30 yards of the laptop ( These aren't shot tethered)

Any advice  or comments  welcomed

John C

EgillBjarki

Re: Canon 5D Mk3 Wireless
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 09:17:41 am »

I use the eye fi wifi. Shoot raw files into the CF card, and have the iPad setup to receive jpg previews. It takes forever to transfer the RAW files wifi.

This is not suitable if you prefer to get the raw files on your computer. This works for me so my clients have previews straight away on a decent screen.

John S C

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 10:31:11 am »

I've tried the EyeFi cards and to honest I really couldn't get on with them. As you found transfers took ages and Ihad trouble keeping the connection to the Mac. Which was only about 10 feet away. Hence my thoughts on opting for the proper canon system

Thanks for the reply

John C

jrsforums

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 10:35:28 am »

You might want to consider a 'CamRanger'  http://www.camranger.com/

Started out for iPad/iPhone.  Now supports Mac.  Win and Android in development.

I use it on iPad....it is great.

EDIT:  I usually just shoot RAW.  CamRanger can bring them across and show.  If I want to view and/or show a lot of the images, I will set the 5D3 up to save RAW on the CF card and small jpegs on the SD.  Then, the jpegs come across very fast, can be saved on the ipad, and take up little space.  I forget the jpeg setting, but is is down around 2.5k pixel
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:39:53 am by jrsforums »
John

John S C

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 06:56:30 pm »

Just looked at the Camranger as you suggested. Looks like it might be the option I need. The fact it works with iOS and OSX is a big plus.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 02:11:21 am »

+1 to the Camranger. Shoot dual raw/basic jpeg files to make it fast and easy for you MacBook/iPad/iPhone.

Works about the same on both Nikon and Canon and not model specific like some of the OEM wireless boxes and much less expensive.

However, it runs on an ad hoc network to the specific device where the OEM become a node to the wifi network.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

jrsforums

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 08:57:54 am »

However, it runs on an ad hoc network to the specific device where the OEM become a node to the wifi network.

??
John

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 01:03:58 pm »

A standard wifi network allows many nodes and devices to access. One would generally use a base station and perhaps a wireless router to control it all. In my studio, I have a wifi router hooked to the net and three desktops, two Macbooks, a couple of iPads and a couple of iPhones. Each can access one another.

However, in an "ad hoc" network no standard infrastructure is used. It's the CamRanger and the controller and nothing in between or connected to the outside world, such as my studio's network (an EyeFi card works as a node in a conventional network). So, if you want to run your camera and then stream them to the web as you shoot, i don't think that will happen with the CamRanger and an iPad/iPhone. With a MacBook, perhaps, if you have your network connected via (cabled) Ethernet.

With the Canon and Nikon wifi transmitters (the big and expensive ones), you access your normal network, but they run two-three times more than a CamRanger and are much more difficult to configure and use. I'm not even sure you can use an app to set, control and view the images as easily with the name-brand as you can with the CamRanger.

With the GoPro, you also run as an ad hoc network, though the distance from controller to the camera is much shorter. I think I got maybe 50 feet when I used mine a few days ago out in the sticks.

Here's a link to info on "ad hoc" networks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_ad_hoc_network

Now I'm going to have to go out and see how far away from the camera I can get with my CamRanger!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

jrsforums

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 01:15:29 pm »

Thanks, Larry.  I knew how it worked, but did not understand the terminology.
John

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 03:55:08 pm »

I also use the CamRanger. It's a great tool.

stevesanacore

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 04:41:39 pm »

I've used the Canon Wifi module on the 1Ds3 but it's very slow, so i only use it when I have no other option. When I upgrade to the 1DX I won't bother with one at all because of how slow they are. I have had no issue with long runs of cable when needed. I also use the EyeFi card occasionally and find that works just as well as the Canon brand unit. For small jpegs it's fine.
We don't know what we don't know.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 06:27:23 pm »

I also use the CamRanger. It's a great tool.

Can i connect the Camranger so that I can control the camera for BOTH and Ipad and Macbook and have the files stored on the Macbook?

Currently to use both the Ipad as a display/control device and the MBP as a display/control/record device I am using capture One and Capture Pilot and 30 feet of USB2 cable.  

I would love to cut the cable and also remove the backup drive attached to the MPB since C1 does not allow for write to card and computer.

Also writing raw speed to the computer is not a huge deal, and I run an Airport Express (older one with the plug built in)and create my own network when working on location.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 06:36:13 pm by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

jrsforums

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 09:34:05 am »

Can i connect the Camranger so that I can control the camera for BOTH and Ipad and Macbook and have the files stored on the Macbook?

Currently to use both the Ipad as a display/control device and the MBP as a display/control/record device I am using capture One and Capture Pilot and 30 feet of USB2 cable.  

I would love to cut the cable and also remove the backup drive attached to the MPB since C1 does not allow for write to card and computer.

Also writing raw speed to the computer is not a huge deal, and I run an Airport Express (older one with the plug built in)and create my own network when working on location.

I queried Dave at CamRanger.  This is his response:

Thanks for the heads up....feel free to pass along my response. The CamRanger currently can only communicate with/transmit to a single device. However, we are anticipating support for multiple devices at the same time in the not too distant future. You would then be able to say, shoot from an iPad and transfer to a Mac
John

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 08:13:28 am »

I queried Dave at CamRanger.  This is his response:

Thanks for the heads up....feel free to pass along my response. The CamRanger currently can only communicate with/transmit to a single device. However, we are anticipating support for multiple devices at the same time in the not too distant future. You would then be able to say, shoot from an iPad and transfer to a Mac

Thanks.
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up