Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on switching to the Fuji X System  (Read 57524 times)

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Re: Opinions on switching to the Fuji X System
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2013, 10:02:14 am »

I got the Panasonic 12-35/2.8, which is a fine lens for a zoom. Made the mistake of lending it to my wife, and it's been on her camera ever since... don't think I'm getting that one back.

The Olympus 12, 45, and 75 are all excellent. The Panny 20 is quite good, as is the 25/1.4 and both f/2.8 zooms. Also, the Panny 7-14.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

SZRitter

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2013, 10:11:47 am »

I had a 45mm a while ago, and you are correct, it is excellent.

I have a limited budget, so I'm looking at grabbing either a 40-150 (meh) or one of the new Sigma primes.

Eventually, I will add all the Oly primes.

bcooter

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2013, 05:15:08 pm »

I got the Panasonic 12-35/2.8, which is a fine lens for a zoom. Made the mistake of lending it to my wife, and it's been on her camera ever since... don't think I'm getting that one back.

The Olympus 12, 45, and 75 are all excellent. The Panny 20 is quite good, as is the 25/1.4 and both f/2.8 zooms. Also, the Panny 7-14.

Totally agree.  The Olympus fast primes are freaky sharp, too sharp almost, the 2.8 pansonic zooms are sharp but smoother with a more gradual roll off from midtones to highlight, midtones to shadow.

I thought the Olympus was just a sharper file until I put the Olympus lenses on my gh3's and the files look a lot of the same.

What Olympus needs is a 25mm (though the pana leica 25 is good) and they need to make the next omd focus better with their professional 4-3 primes like the 150 f2.

What panasonic needs is a 25mm with i.s., or in camera stabilization like the olympus which is amazingly good.

What Olympus needs body wise is sound in and out and a higher bit rate video, though the video on the olympus is quite good about 1/2 stop less lattitude than the gh3.

In regards to the Fuji, I didn't know they accepted other lenses except for Leica and the new Zeiss X-mount.

Does the fuji x1 pro accept lenses and still have autofocus control?

BC

Manoli

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2013, 06:17:30 pm »

Does the fuji x1 pro accept lenses and still have autofocus control?

BC

Autofocus is only on the Fuji and Zeiss touit x- series glass. All others are manual focus.

AFairley

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2013, 06:38:18 pm »

I had a 45mm a while ago, and you are correct, it is excellent.

I have a limited budget, so I'm looking at grabbing either a 40-150 (meh) or one of the new Sigma primes.

Eventually, I will add all the Oly primes.

If you are looking at the wide end, the Panny 20 is superior to the Sigma 19 (own the Panny, borrowed the Sigma and compared it).

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2013, 11:53:37 am »

What holds me back is party the system is not mature enough. And flash
There is no support (that I am aware of) for HSS, or wireless flash.

And that is a problem for me (might not be for everyone)
You can work around this to a point, but it's an issue for some types of shooting

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2013, 12:06:38 pm »

Barry,

You are right there is no HSS, but you can use wireless flash, I have used Pocketwizards and some Yongnuo wireless controllers without any issues, but then I do not use ttl, I use the flashes on manual, strobist style.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Ken Bennett

Fuji lens choices
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2013, 06:48:09 pm »

OK, I am just about ready to pull the trigger on this, and I have a question for anyone who is using the new Fuji 18-55 zoom and also owns the 60/2.4 macro prime:

Is it worth owning both? I don't do a lot of macro work, but I love having a ~90mm-eq lens for portraits. There is only a 1.3 stop difference in the long end of the zoom, so of course there will be some difference in shallow focus effects -- is it substantial? Does the zoom focus close enough for tight portraits? The 60 is $350 with the rebates, so price is not a huge factor in this decision, though of course I could use that for some accessories. (I'd be buying the 14, 35, 18-55, and the 55-200 when it's available.) I'm currently using the 14/20/45 primes for Micro 4/3, so I'm used to the 3-lens prime kit. But if the zoom will do most of what I need, that would be preferable.

Any comments? Thanks in advance....

Ken

Manoli

Re: Fuji lens choices
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2013, 03:42:01 am »

a question for anyone who is using the new Fuji 18-55 zoom and also owns the 60/2.4 macro prime:
Ken

I bought the X-E1 with the 35 and was 'obliged' to buy the kit zoom as part of the package. Found it surprisingly good and these two lenses are now my light travel package. Checked the close focus on the 90 end of the zoom and am reading something in excess of 0.6M as closest focus from the in-camera distance indicator. Probably close enough for your portrait shots.

If you want to see some on-line 90mm macro shots check out the BLK DNM web site / tumblr posts by the owner/ founder Johann who uses the 90 macro extensively for all his in house publicity shots. Not necessarily the ultimate in terms of technique but will give you a good idea of what the lens is capable of.

A word of warning - Fuji are set the release a new 90 f1.4 early next year. So I guess depends on what your priorities are.

FWIW, I bought the Fuji with the M adapter and use it with a Leica 75mm f1.4, amongst others. Although a heavy and generally unloved lens, I found the combination excellent; reduced image circle, bokeh at f1.4 and draws like no other - a great portrait lens in the vein of the old 105mm lenses. At f4 + it rocks, as do the 50 and 75's

In short, if you have any Leica or Zeiss M glass the M adapter is worth it, despite the exorbitant price, simply for the ease of use it offers.

All best
M

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2013, 09:51:24 am »

OK, I am just about ready to pull the trigger on this, and I have a question for anyone who is using the new Fuji 18-55 zoom and also owns the 60/2.4 macro prime:

Is it worth owning both? I don't do a lot of macro work, but I love having a ~90mm-eq lens for portraits. There is only a 1.3 stop difference in the long end of the zoom, so of course there will be some difference in shallow focus effects -- is it substantial? Does the zoom focus close enough for tight portraits? The 60 is $350 with the rebates, so price is not a huge factor in this decision, though of course I could use that for some accessories. (I'd be buying the 14, 35, 18-55, and the 55-200 when it's available.) I'm currently using the 14/20/45 primes for Micro 4/3, so I'm used to the 3-lens prime kit. But if the zoom will do most of what I need, that would be preferable.

Any comments? Thanks in advance....

Ken

Ken,

I started with the X-Pro 1 and the 18, 35, and 60mm primes. After getting my wife a X-E1 with the 18-55mm I really liked it, so I bought one for myself. The 18-55mm is quite good, and much better than a lot of zooms. I still use the 60mm for some macro work, especially flowers. It focuses slower and has a long throw when in manual, but it has a nice bokeh. I wish it was a little closer focusing but can't have everything. I have also gotten the 14mm, and 55-200mm. The 14mm is outstanding and I am really liking the 55-200mm as well, so I have to say there are no bad lenses so far for the X-series. I also have the 8mm fisheye from Samyang for specialty stuff.
For general walk around, not sure what I am going to take pictures of, I will just carry the 18-55mm, and maybe the 35mm, and now the 55-200mm as well. If I am driving somewhere or going to a more deliberate photo trip, I will take the kitchen sink.

It looks like you have seen the roadmap. Since I have the 60mm, the 56mm does not interest me at the moment, but maybe see what happens when they release it. I am definitely waiting for the 23mm.

After using the Fuji camera for over year, I find I hardly ever carry around the dslr any more. I will use it for sports or wildlife, but the Fuji goes with me every day with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm and maybe another lens or two, but now usually just the 2 lenses.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2013, 01:56:39 pm »

The 60 is $350 with the rebates, so price is not a huge factor in this decision, though of course I could use that for some accessories.

Ken,
the 60 goes for around $400 used on ebay right now, so you are not running a huge risk if you get it. I don't have the 55-200, but I do have the 60 as a portrait lens until the 56 comes out. I would say the 60 is adequate as a portrait lens: bokeh is nice, it is very sharp; but the DOF at 2.4 is borderline too large for some situations. This might rule out the zoom for portraits.

My preferred portrait lens is the Voigtlander 75mm 1.8, but it is manual focus only.

Martin
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

Ken Bennett

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2013, 07:37:29 pm »

Thanks to the three of you. I think I'll skip the 60, and buy a lens adapter for my old Canon FD lenses -- I have a very nice Tamron 90mm macro lens that I've been using on my m43 system, and that will do for portraits and limited macro until the fast portrait lens is released.

Cheers,

Ken

armand

• Photos
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2013, 10:18:27 pm »

Did you guys notice any weird look, described as watercolor or other major artifacts? I've seen several photos which looked as if there was a lot of noise reduction applied to them.
I placed an order for X-E1 but cancelled because of this and the fact that I heard an X-E2 should arrive in the next few months or so fixing most of the issues with the current one.
Too bad for the current sales  :(

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2013, 12:44:56 am »

Did you guys notice any weird look, described as watercolor or other major artifacts? I've seen several photos which looked as if there was a lot of noise reduction applied to them.
I placed an order for X-E1 but cancelled because of this and the fact that I heard an X-E2 should arrive in the next few months or so fixing most of the issues with the current one.
Too bad for the current sales  :(

The weird issues have been cleared up with the new versions of raw processing, so that is a moot point. The files look great. Overdue any of the sliders while processing and you make it look awful, but that is true with just about an camera image. I doubt there will be X-E2 in a few months, there is always going to be new cameras, that is fact of life. To me, a camera is a tool, if it fills your needs then get it and move on if there a gained advantage.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Ken Bennett

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2013, 09:41:52 am »

Agreed with Alan, while Fuji may announce a new X Pro camera this year, the XE1 is still fairly new and selling well. While I have often in the past been the last person to buy a new camera right before the next model is announced (sometimes on purpose, sometimes not), in this case I'm fairly comfortable ordering the XE1 with the idea that I can use it for years.

And there is always a new camera on the horizon....

scooby70

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2013, 10:40:09 am »

I'm really tempted by the X cameras but I just can't get over not being able to shoot RAW at ISO 100. To not have a reasonably low sensitivity setting on an enthusiast camera is just beyond my comprehension, it baffles me. If I did get one of these I can see myself getting even more frustrated than I do now at having to juggle the camera, bag and lens hood while I fit an ND for one shot and take it off for the next.

I keep hoping that the next camera will include an ISO 100 setting for RAW.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2013, 11:31:38 pm »

Well, I replaced my order for a X-E1 with some lenses and I hope it will work out for my next trip in few days. I'll have the RX100 as a backup anyway..

Regarding the raw processing I'm still not convinced that Lightroom is that good yet. Check this comparison: http://www.thevisualexperience.org/web/processing-x100s-raw-with-iridient-developer-part-2/ . Unfortunately it's Mac only and I'm a Windows person.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2013, 02:56:27 am »

Regarding the raw processing I'm still not convinced that Lightroom is that good yet.

You might want to play with the trial version of Phase One's Capture One RAW converter.  At least to my eyes it gives better results than Adobe ACR for the X-Pro 1.

http://www.phaseone.com/

I admit that I am biased because C1 is my default RAW converter for my Bayer sensor cameras.  So, IMO, YMMV, and all the other usual qualifiers.

Paul

Telecaster

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2013, 03:10:31 pm »

Had the opportunity yesterday to give an acquaintance's X-E1 a spin with some of my RF lenses. To sum up: I really liked the experience and so have ordered an X-E1 for myself. Manual focusing was easier than I expected--pretty much the same as with the OMD5--and should further improve with the upcoming focus peaking implementation. The camera felt good in my hands and handled fine with the aux. grip. RAW conversion via Iridient Developer looked pretty darn good. Lightroom conversion was fine tonally but lacked some spatial bite compared to Iridient.

Now I just need to get out from under SE Michigan's crap weather (early this morning the F'in heat came on, fer cryinoutloud!) and give this rig a good workout.

-Dave-

armand

• Photos
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2013, 12:24:37 am »

Had the opportunity yesterday to give an acquaintance's X-E1 a spin with some of my RF lenses. To sum up: I really liked the experience and so have ordered an X-E1 for myself. Manual focusing was easier than I expected--pretty much the same as with the OMD5--and should further improve with the upcoming focus peaking implementation. The camera felt good in my hands and handled fine with the aux. grip. RAW conversion via Iridient Developer looked pretty darn good. Lightroom conversion was fine tonally but lacked some spatial bite compared to Iridient.

Now I just need to get out from under SE Michigan's crap weather (early this morning the F'in heat came on, fer cryinoutloud!) and give this rig a good workout.

-Dave-

Funny you say this as I just moved to SW Michigan and I have an X-E1 coming. I'll be traveling 2 days after though for better weather and I'll take the Fuji with me if we get  acquainted good enough in one day.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up