Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breathing Color retailers  (Read 2279 times)

texshooter

Breathing Color retailers
« on: May 27, 2013, 04:10:12 pm »

Why doesn't Breathing Color sell their papers through B&H, Adorama, or Calumet?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Breathing Color retailers
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 05:27:58 pm »

They expect to make more profit by exclusively selling directly. This is how companies work.

texshooter

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 06:32:35 pm »

Your answer is more obvious than my question. Let me ask it this way.  Why is it more profitable for BC not to use retailers. Why does this business model work for them and not, say, for Hahnemuhle. Do they have the canvas paper market cornered, is that it? Just curious.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 07:26:39 pm by texshooter »

texshooter

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 07:25:52 pm »

BC's website says:

"Our proprietary products are very expensive to develop, manufacture and ensure quality.  If we sold them through traditional distributors, our products would hands down be the most expensive on the market.  Instead, we employ a a manufacturer-direct business model that bypasses the middle man and empowers us to provide you with first class, state-of-the-art products at competitive prices.  It also allows us to deliver direct, unprecedented service and support for our products"

BC Vibrance Rag is twice the price of Epson Exhibition Fiber. Holy Cow!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:48:40 pm by texshooter »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 11:19:15 am »

Your answer is more obvious than my question. Let me ask it this way.  Why is it more profitable for BC not to use retailers. Why does this business model work for them and not, say, for Hahnemuhle. Do they have the canvas paper market cornered, is that it? Just curious.

Dunno. My guess would be that the BC products - which I think are truly excellent, specifically the Lyve canvas - have a devoted and increasing following. Selling direct gives one so much more profit than selling wholesale, so I reckon the company decided that fewer sales at more profit was better than more sales at less profit. But, when push comes to shove, does it really matter?
Pages: [1]   Go Up