Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help for camera change needed - Oly OM-D-M5  (Read 1327 times)

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
help for camera change needed - Oly OM-D-M5
« on: May 26, 2013, 03:19:29 pm »

Hello,

my wife is succesfully using a Pany GH2 with the kit lens 14-140mm ( due to Michael's recommendation) and she really loves the camera and the images it creates. But, and this is the issue, the AF is much too slow though she loves to shoot our dogs playing around in the backyard. Furthermore, she complaines a long delay between pressing the shutter and the the actual shoot is done, although shooting static objects in best light.

Because she would like to keep on using a small light camera, the idea is to switch to the Olympus OM-D M5.

Can anyone give me her / his experiences on this camera, especially in reagrd of the AF and the shutter-delay ?

Many thanks

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
Re: help for camera change needed - Oly OM-D-M5
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 03:54:29 pm »

I've had an OM-D for a while and use it mostly with prime lenses, my favorite being the 45mm f/1.8. The shutter release is quite quick and the auto focus is also remarkably fast. The 20mm f/1.7 is a superb lens as well and while a bit slower with auto focus, it's quite satisfactory. It is likely that a longer lens might be slower to focus, more weight for the motor to move. I suspect she'll love the OM-D but be prepared for a daunting experience setting up all the menus. Once it's done, you're good to go.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 06:28:33 pm »

My experience with the OMD is very limited, but from what I could see it didn't come close to the Nikon V1/V2 in terms of AF speed on moving subjects.

You will find useful info on such topics at www.sansmirror.com by Thom Hogan.

Cheers,
Bernard

bcooter

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 08:00:45 pm »

I've tested the OMD vs. the GH3 4 times, just bought the gh3.

The OMD focuses as fast and well as any camera I've used except my Canon 1dx and it's damn close to the 1dx.

The only problem with the OMD is it doesn't track focus as well.  It hunts some then locks.

For catching that one image, it will do it fine, but for a succession of images where the subject is moving quick, it will miss some.

Olympus knows this and I believe the next OMD will have dual focus aids and they say a Sony sensor.

The Olympus does have amazing image stabilization.

The GH3 doesn't snap to focus as quickly as the OMD, but will track with reliability, in still and video.

In video it autofocuses amazingly well.

The best thing to do is to test it.   You can rent them from borrow lens or one of those online companies fairly inexpensively.

Now, I really like the gh3, though the omd has a better still image from the same sensor and I might buy the OMD for stills to go with the gh3. 

IMO

BC

scooby70

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 08:07:37 pm »

But, and this is the issue, the AF is much too slow...

Could this be a lens issue rather than a camera body issue? I suppose that the way to find out is to try another lens and this might be worth doing before spending money on another body.

I only have a lowly G1 but I don't have any complaints about focus speed or shutter lag.

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 04:45:48 am »

Hello,

many thanks for all these answers !

I will try to find someone who will rent my wife such camera for a weekend to testdrive it 'deeply'.

Best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Vladimirovich

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 01:51:29 pm »

Hello,

my wife is succesfully using a Pany GH2 with the kit lens 14-140mm ( due to Michael's recommendation) and she really loves the camera and the images it creates. But, and this is the issue, the AF is much too slow though she loves to shoot our dogs playing around in the backyard. Furthermore, she complaines a long delay between pressing the shutter and the the actual shoot is done, although shooting static objects in best light.

Because she would like to keep on using a small light camera, the idea is to switch to the Olympus OM-D M5.

Can anyone give me her / his experiences on this camera, especially in reagrd of the AF and the shutter-delay ?

Many thanks

Robert

if 14-140 is the only lens that you have/plan to have then it (14-140) is big enough that smaller EM5 body shall not make a big difference when 14-140 is mounted, you might actually want GH3 body to have a better grip and bigger/more controls... IBIS/OIS will not help w/ dogs playing as they are moving... better sensor will help (both EM5 and GH3 have Sony sensors as it turned out) - if you are using in camera JPGs then it is matter of your taste, if you are using raw converters then both cameras have identical raw quality... none of m43 cameras (neither EM5 nor GH3, both top models) have AF good enough for randomly moving objects tracking... if you plan to buy smaller lenses smaller EM5 body might be better... if you plan to mount manual focus lenses then IBIS might be helpful - but there is a shutter shock effect more pronounced w/ IBIS in EM5 (light body, floating sensor not being one mass w/ a body) at certain shutter speeds around 1/60 (IBIS can't counteract high freq. sensor movements when shutter induces those)... Olympus has antishock delay setup in firmware from 1/8 sec and longer to fix this (it allows those high freq movements to die off leaving only low freq hands tremor that IBIS was designed to counteract), but you were complaining about "long delay between pressing the shutter and the the actual shoot is done" - so you might not want a body w/ IBIS for such situations  ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:53:55 pm by Vladimirovich »
Pages: [1]   Go Up