Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera and Lens Recommendations For Landscape and Copy Work  (Read 829 times)

Nick S.

I'm a landscape painter in the market for a new digital camera and lens(s) and would appreciate advise from forum members. I will be using my new camera for two very specific tasks:

1. Documenting landscapes that match what I see with my eyes, and the oil sketches I produce in the field, as faithfully as possible in terms of value, perspective and color.

2. Photographing finished works of art (oil on canvas) that measure up to about 36" x 48", for publication and use on the web.

Image quality is my main concern. I plan to acquire a macro lens for the copy work, and a normal (50mm full frame or 35mm APS-C) prime for landscape photography.

I hope to acquire a new camera and lens combo for $2000 or less.

The Pentax K-5 IIs looks like a good choice. I like the weather sealing and compact size as well as the excellent images it produces. I'm wondering if the Pentax DA 35mm f2.8 Macro Lens could perform both of the tasks I have in mind or if two separate lenses would be a better choice.

Thanks,
Nick

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Camera and Lens Recommendations For Landscape and Copy Work
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 05:06:11 am »

The Pentax K5 and 35mm lens area good choice. In your case, I would also consider a full-frame camera, this would allow a more faithfull reproduction of colour and smoother tonal gradations.

I use the Canon EOS 6D, which is realtively cheap. In your case, you could get the 50mm macro lens (it is an old lens, but very good, with a flat field of view and no distortion), or the 50mm macro lens from Zeiss (which is expensive). If you opt for two separate lenses, then I would recommend the Canon 40mm pancake lens (which makes a really small package with the 6D) for your normal field of view lens.

The Canon 6D has inbuilt GPS and Wifi. The GPS could be helpful to you, to document your locations easily.

Nick S.

Re: Camera and Lens Recommendations For Landscape and Copy Work
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 10:16:45 am »

Thanks for the recommendations, Paulo. I will look into full-frame.
Pages: [1]   Go Up