Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Orange Flower  (Read 1234 times)

Chris Calohan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3539
  • Editing Allowed
Orange Flower
« on: May 22, 2013, 11:45:29 am »

Logged
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Re: Orange Flower
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:57:12 am »

Chris,
I like the vivid colors but I'm having trouble to find some balance. So, for me, it's an interesting image and I'd need more time to make up my mind.
Logged
Francois

Chris Calohan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3539
  • Editing Allowed
Re: Orange Flower
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 10:39:50 am »

I also did this as a square crop with some additional editing. See if this works better for you, Francois.

Logged
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

louoates

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 836
    • Lou Oates Photography
Re: Orange Flower
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 11:35:43 am »

For me, closer is almost always better. My vote is for the square view.
Logged

Richowens

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 977
Re: Orange Flower
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 11:51:04 am »

 
 I find that most of my flower shots wind up cropped square.

 Nicely done Chris.

 Rich
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Re: Orange Flower
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 02:39:35 am »

I also did this as a square crop with some additional editing. See if this works better for you, Francois.


Yes, Chris, the square crop works very well for me. It's simpler and cleaner!
Logged
Francois

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Orange Flower
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 10:28:00 am »

Add my vote for the square version.

Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

fike

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1413
  • Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Re: Orange Flower
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 10:44:40 am »

I like the square one better--not because the composition is particularly suited to a square crop, but because it decreases the negative area that lacks any reinforcing meaning to the general image. There are probably other crops that aren't 1:1 that could be nice with this one too--maybe a portrait 4:3 or 5:4. Heck as long as you get rid of the empty space on the edges, even a landscape crop looks good.
Logged
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

amolitor

  • Guest
Re: Orange Flower
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 03:27:46 pm »

Huh?

The square version is a picture of a flower.

The original is a set of crossing lines, leading the eye to and supporting a central subject, which happens to be a flower. It's much much better.
Logged

Tonysx

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 96
Re: Orange Flower
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 06:00:27 pm »

I'm with Amolitor on this one. Not necessarily better but more interesting than the square version
Logged
‘Be you ever so high, the law

nemo295

  • Guest
Re: Orange Flower
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 06:27:00 pm »

I'm inclined to go with the square one.
Logged

Chris Calohan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3539
  • Editing Allowed
Re: Orange Flower
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 10:32:34 pm »

The idea behind the first presentation was to break a few rules, allowing the stems to lead the eye to the center, the orange flower. I placed the longest leading stem on the bottom 1/3 quadrant and midpoint of the flower in the upper third. I still think there is merit to that thought pursuit but I think Fike's suggestion of eliminating the dead space in a rectangular format could be the best of both worlds. I'll sit on this for another week or so and have a later looksee.
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and comments.
Logged
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows
Pages: [1]   Go Up