Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Nikon macro?  (Read 10740 times)

henrikfoto

Re: What Nikon macro?
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 09:08:02 am »

I'm surprised anyone would pick a Nikon over Canon for macro work.  The MPE-65 and electronic first curtain shutter combination is hard to beat.

Your surprice surprises me!

If you think the MPE-65 is the greatest macro-lens ever made you need to look a little further.
What about Macro-Nikkors, Printing-Nikkors, Apo El Nikkors, Ultra Micro Nikkors, Zeiss S-Orthoplanars,
Zeiss S-Biogon, Zeiss Luminars, Coastal optics, Apo Lanthar 120, etc. etc...

The new Canon is very good at it's price, but there are far better macros out there.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:11:42 am by henrikfoto »

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
Re: What Nikon macro?
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 11:43:56 am »

+1 for those who have mentioned the AF Zoom Micro-Nikkor 70-180 mm f/4.5-5.6 ED. It was only made for about 5 years, Nikon ending production in about 2005. It never really got popular until they stopped making it. I found a really clean copy for $2,000 on eBay several years ago and have never regretted the purchase. Of the current lenses, my favorite is the 105VR. While I haven't really done it seriously, don't forget focus stacking is all the rage now. I find the D800 is not all that good for depth of field as it is necessary to limit the minimum aperture to around f8 or so due to diffraction. That sharp sensor doesn't come without issues!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up