Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome to the Mirrorless/CSC Forum  (Read 46542 times)

MrIconoclast

Re: Welcome to the CSC Forum
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 06:58:21 pm »

Thanks for starting this forum.  I just switched from my bigger DSLR system to an m4/3 system.  I found that my photographic needs have changed and I was no longer willing to lug around the DSLR gear, as good at it was. The gear was getting in the way of my photography and my enjoyment of being an amateur photographer.  With the introduction of the Olympus EM-5, PL5, and PM2, we have a sensor that is at least as good as those in my 2 year old DSLR.  I can make great 20x24 prints from that DSLR and now I can do the same from my m4/3 system.   

slothead

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2013, 10:25:51 am »

Wow!  I'm really glad to see this subforum here (I guess we call it a subforum)!  I jumped the Nikon FF ship about 3 months ago, but not before acquiring an Oly OM-D E-M5 and a minimal set of lenses to introduce myself to compact systems.  Since that time I have acquired an Oly E-PL5 as a back-up body (and am in the process of selling it because...) I then found a terrific offer on another OM-D.  So I now have two OM-Ds and a fairly complete set of lenses I think appropriate enough for landscaping.

I have already started equipping myself with IR resources (filters and lenses), and have gotten some panos, and have experimented with some methods not previously considered with the D700 or D800.  I have to admit however I have retained my IR-converted Nikon D5000 since I had invested in that set-up (If I can replicate its products with unconverted Olympus micros I may let it go too - so far that hasn't proven to be true - but I'm still working at it).

My only concern is that the Micro 4/3 industry is not continuing to introduce an expanding lens line-up.  I hope that is not a harbinger of the future of the Micro 4/3 system.

The bottom line is that I am still very happy with what I have to work with and am continuing to learn more about it and its advantages and peculiarities.

I will be anxious to see this subforum expand with interest!

Tom
Tom
Nikon D800, D750, N1 J5, Sony A7R, a6000, a5100, Oly E-P2IR
and an assortment of lenses, adapters and tripods

Herbc

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 11:55:03 am »

I am considering sending a NEX 7 off to get it converted to IR.  In the past, I have had all my IR gear to use 720nm, which produces pretty much b/w.  The galleries and museums seem to like that, although I have never tried the 650nm or lower filters.

How difficult is it to go to pure b/w when you have one of these 600 +,-, cameras?

Not a big fan of the color IR, but would not mind trying it out.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 08:35:04 am »

Just throwing this out there, would it make sense to rename this forum Mirrorless, rather than Compact System, since there are several "full-frame" models being discussed here.
--
Robert

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2018, 08:53:39 am »

Just throwing this out there, would it make sense to rename this forum Mirrorless, rather than Compact System, since there are several "full-frame" models being discussed here.

Agree, also it's time to get rid of the Aperture Forum and roll Aperture into Other RAW Converters, to combine the Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom Forum, Eliminate the Digital Projection Tools Forum.  Then there's the M Leica Thread that is pinned to the top of the Camera, Lenses and Shooting Gear forum in perpetuity...  I think the forums in general are in need of these changes and maybe a few others.  It seems like they  are stuck in about 2012... ;)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 09:16:11 am »

Agree, also it's time to get rid of the Aperture Forum and roll Aperture into Other RAW Converters, to combine the Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom Forum, Eliminate the Digital Projection Tools Forum.  Then there's the M Leica Thread that is pinned to the top of the Camera, Lenses and Shooting Gear forum in perpetuity...  I think the forums in general are in need of these changes and maybe a few others.  It seems like they  are stuck in about 2012... ;)

Reasonable suggestions - thank-you!

I have modified CSC to Mirrorless, made the Aperture discussion a 'child' board of Other Raw converters and un-pinned the M Leica thread. I see the logic in the other suggestions but being a conservative kind of guy, thought those changes sufficient for now  :D

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Welcome to the Mirrorless/CSC Forum
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 04:21:25 pm »

Yes, thank you!

It is now official that mirrorless cameras aren’t necessarily compact! ;)

This is very timely since there was an on-going discussion about the bulk of the Sony G Master lenses and how they steered away from the original compact nature of mirrorless systems for the sake of optical quality.

Good move!

Cheers,
Bernard

shadowblade

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 05:02:24 pm »

I would have thought that Crop, Full Frame and MF would make more sense than Mirrorless and SLR. After all, we talk about the A9, D5 and 1Dx2 in the same breath, or the D850, Z7 and A7r3. All these cameras serve the same functions and same groups of users, regardless of the presence or absence of a mirror. No-one really talks about crop cameras in the same context as full-frame cameras, except when mentioning features present in one camera that they'd like added into a different system. And even lenses and other supporting gear tend to vary by format size rather than body form.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 06:29:56 pm »

I would have thought that Crop, Full Frame and MF would make more sense than Mirrorless and SLR. After all, we talk about the A9, D5 and 1Dx2 in the same breath, or the D850, Z7 and A7r3. All these cameras serve the same functions and same groups of users, regardless of the presence or absence of a mirror. No-one really talks about crop cameras in the same context as full-frame cameras, except when mentioning features present in one camera that they'd like added into a different system. And even lenses and other supporting gear tend to vary by format size rather than body form.

I grant you your logic but I believe the forum needs to go with what is generally accepted - although that has and will change again!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2018, 12:31:46 am »

Now I'm just waiting for some outfit to come up with a really big Mirrorless.
No wait! I used to have one of those many years ago: an 8x10" view camera. No mirror at all!   :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2018, 12:43:38 am »

No wait! I used to have one of those many years ago: an 8x10" view camera. No mirror at all!   :D

:-)

I have kept my 4x5! :-)

Cheers,
Bernard

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2018, 05:21:58 am »

Reasonable suggestions - thank-you!

I have modified CSC to Mirrorless, made the Aperture discussion a 'child' board of Other Raw converters and un-pinned the M Leica thread. I see the logic in the other suggestions but being a conservative kind of guy, thought those changes sufficient for now  :D
Thanks Chris :)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2018, 10:18:39 am »

i just want to post to this historical thread :)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BJL

Welcome to the Mirrorless/CSC Forum, non-compact camera users!
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2018, 12:41:20 pm »

I am also happy that "compact" has been removed from the forum name; I lobbied for that a while ago, and already the Fujifilm G series made the name out-dated. So I will not quibble about my preference for a positive description based on what sort of viewfinder a camera does have: range-finder — SLR — EVF, with "rear-screen only" as the disparaged step-child.

But if "EVF" becomes the default so we could drop it (as I drop the "D" and just say "SLR") we could perhaps divide ILC's by format, with a digital-friendly update of the compact/medium/large division of film cameras formats. The formats for digital ILCs, measuring by diagonal for consistency, seem to be 22mm (4/3"), 27-29mm (flavors of "APS-C"), 43.3mm (36x24), 55mm (44x33) and 67mm (54x40), so I would suggest:
- "small" or "compact": up to "APS-C"
- "medium": 36x24mm "Film Format"
- "large": 44x33mm and up.

Though the mode and median size is of course "APS-C", not 36x24mm, so that has a better claim on being “medium sized”
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 05:22:35 pm by BJL »

Telecaster

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2018, 03:44:45 pm »

I like the "Mirrorless" designation for the time being.

"Crop" is IMO a BS designation. m43 and Fuji's use of APS-C are no more crops of existing formats than 6x6cm is a crop of 4x5" sheet film. If non-ground-up APS-C systems also go away in the medium future, maybe then we can also dispense with "full frame."  :)

-Dave-

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2018, 06:17:00 pm »

@ shadowblade.

>I would have thought that Crop, Full Frame and MF would make more sense than Mirrorless and SLR.

+1
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up