Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eric Chan and others on raw processing -- audio  (Read 6514 times)

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Eric Chan and others on raw processing -- audio
« on: May 16, 2013, 11:39:40 pm »

Thanks to all of you who helped me work on my pitch for the Center for Photographic Art panel on raw processing. The slides for my presentation are available here.

I just posted the audio for the whole day on the CPA's website. You can hear our own Eric Chan talk about Lightroom in general and Lightroom 5 in particular here. If you want to view my presentation, which is an introduction to digital photography with an emphasis on exposure (ETTR, Unity Gain ISO, and the like), I suggest that you download the slides, then click here for the audio.

By the way, I used Adobe Audition to edit the audio. I would have used a less-capable program, but I recently subscribed to CC (one seat, toe in the water) to see what it was like, so I had Audition available. I wasn't doing anything hard, but I still was a bit apprehensive about the learning curve. I needn't have been. I never had to look at the documentation, and there was a minimum amount of fumbling around before I found what I needed. The speech-oriented automatic gain riding processing is quite nice.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:44:04 pm by Jim Kasson »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Eric Chan and others on raw processing -- audio
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 04:48:42 am »

Cool...Eric is great, isn't he???

hubell

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:52:11 am »

Clicking on the names of the presenters on the CPA website does not play the audio on my Mac. A Web Player thingie pops up and just says the audio is "buffering".

jrsforums

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:23:35 am »

Clicking on the names of the presenters on the CPA website does not play the audio on my Mac. A Web Player thingie pops up and just says the audio is "buffering".

Suggest you down load....then no buffering problem due to traffic, load, etc.  Can also put on smartphone to list while trveling, etc.
John

jrsforums

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:26:10 am »

Thanks to all of you who helped me work on my pitch for the Center for Photographic Art panel on raw processing. The slides for my presentation are available here.

I just posted the audio for the whole day on the CPA's website. You can hear our own Eric Chan talk about Lightroom in general and Lightroom 5 in particular here. If you want to view my presentation, which is an introduction to digital photography with an emphasis on exposure (ETTR, Unity Gain ISO, and the like), I suggest that you download the slides, then click here for the audio.

By the way, I used Adobe Audition to edit the audio. I would have used a less-capable program, but I recently subscribed to CC (one seat, toe in the water) to see what it was like, so I had Audition available. I wasn't doing anything hard, but I still was a bit apprehensive about the learning curve. I needn't have been. I never had to look at the documentation, and there was a minimum amount of fumbling around before I found what I needed. The speech-oriented automatic gain riding processing is quite nice.

Jim

Thanks, Jim....I was hoping this would be available.

For full disclosure...actually just my curiosity....what did you record it with?

John
John

hubell

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 09:33:07 am »

Sorry, but how do you download the audio for Charles Cramer's talk. The links to Eric Chan's talk does work.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 10:07:06 am »

...what did you record it with?

There's a USB port on the sound board we used. We just stuck a thumb drive in it and hit the red button.

Jim

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 10:10:12 am »

Sorry, but how do you download the audio for Charles Cramer's talk.

Right-click on the link, then select "Save as..." from the drop down menu. Your browser may work somewhat differently.

Jim

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 10:27:52 am »

By the way, those who download my slides and listen to the lecture will hear me stumbling over an error in slide 41, but may be confused because slide 41 appears to be correct. I fixed it before I posted the slides.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:58:43 am by Jim Kasson »

jrsforums

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 10:38:50 am »

There's a USB port on the sound board we used. We just stuck a thumb drive in it and hit the red button.

Jim

...and I thought I could learn something.  :-)
John

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 11:12:05 am »

...and I thought I could learn something.  :-)

John,

Sorry. Here you go:  http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Passport-500-Portable-System/dp/B00332RD1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368803347&sr=8-1&keywords=fender+passport

It's a lot cheaper than when I bought it three or four years ago, but it's still not a casual purchase.

Jim

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 07:56:46 pm »

I am getting the audio, but not the video

Help

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 07:59:07 pm »

I am getting the audio, but not the video

There isn't any video.

Yet.

There was a videographer present, and I hope that she will make the product of her efforts available.

Jim

Don.H

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 12:06:55 pm »

Thanks for posting the files & links!
Do you know if the slides from any of the other speakers are available online?

Don

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 02:38:40 pm »

Do you know if the slides from any of the other speakers are available online?

They are not. Sorry.

Jim

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 04:52:49 pm »

Jim, Excellent slide presentation on the intricacies of digital capture technology explained in a somewhat easy to understand layout for photographers to grasp. Got lost on the graphs and math.

Did you create this just for techno FYI or are there plans for developing a better Raw converter by you engineer types?

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 05:14:27 pm »

Jim, Excellent slide presentation on the intricacies of digital capture technology explained in a somewhat easy to understand layout for photographers to grasp. Got lost on the graphs and math.

I'm sorry that it was confusing. It was a challenge for me to fit what I wanted into 45 minutes, and maybe I should have left some things out. The linear algebra (mostly matrix multiplication) was included so that people who are familiar with the techniques could understand exactly the operations. For everybody else, the details can be safely ignored. It's not so easy with the logarithms; they have been part of discussions of photographic exposure and sensitometry since Ferdinand Hurter and Vero Charles Driffield invented the photographic characteristic curves, aka H&D curves, aka D-logE curves. The graphs are a pretty condensed way at looking at the characteristics of individual cameras, and are really important only in how they show that there is an empirical way to decide when to stop turning up the ISO.

Did you create this just for techno FYI or are there plans for developing a better Raw converter by you engineer types?

The idea behind the first CPA raw processing workshop came from Nick Wheeler, and it was something like: raw processing tools are becoming more and more opaque, and (some) photographers do better work if they understand their tools well, so why not have a workshop that brings together the constructors of the tools and the users of the tools with the idea that the users can learn about how the tools work and the constructors can learn what users want?

The first workshop was a success, and the next idea was to do something similar in the Silicon Valley. Because of the location of the workshop, we thought that the average level of mathematical and scientific sophistication of the attendees would be high, which is why I didn't pull too many punches when it came to explaining what goes on inside a digital camera. If I went overboard, I'm sorry.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:16:18 pm by Jim Kasson »

Dan Glynhampton

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 05:21:37 pm »

Because of the location of the workshop, we thought that the average level of mathematical and scientific sophistication of the attendees would be high, which is why I didn't pull too many punches when it came to explaining what goes on inside a digital camera. If I went overboard, I'm sorry.

Jim - no need to apologise, your presentation seemed perfectly pitched for the intended audience to me, and thank you for making it more generally available for us all to see via these forums.

Dan

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 06:44:25 pm »

Tim, here's a link to Mike Collette's presentation on capture from last year's raw processing workshop. Here's a link to the audio. Another take on very roughly the same material, and with less math.

Mike is the founder of BetterLight.

Here's a link to all of the audio from last year's workshop. including another presentation by Eric Chan.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:02:16 pm by Jim Kasson »

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 03:36:27 pm »

Bill, here's a link to Mike Collette's presentation on capture from last year's raw processing workshop. Here's a link to the audio. Another take on very roughly the same material, and with less math.

Mike is the founder of BetterLight.

Here's a link to all of the audio from last year's workshop. including another presentation by Eric Chan.

Jim

Thanks for the links and explanation, Jim. No need to apologize for the math. I'll give it look see.

-Tim Lookingbill
Pages: [1]   Go Up