Right Mike, That's why when my wife and I are traveling between Colorado and Florida we stay off the freeways as much as possible. It's not just the billboards, it's the repetition of the same old stuff. Old Route 66 used to have its problems, like the guy in the gas station who, after you'd been inside to the restroom, would tell you that your shocks were leaking (having squirted some oil on them while you were inside), and the dime you'd have to deposit in the stall's lock to get inside the john. But Route 66 was infinitely more interesting than the freeways.
A few years ago I took off and spent several days cruising the back roads and shooting abandoned stuff in Kansas, the Texas panhandle, and New Mexico. Only problem with that kind of shoot is that unless you get lucky with the clouds, most of the time you're shooting when the sun's high and the light's not all that interesting. Still, you can find stuff like this abandoned church in Grenville, New Mexico from 2006. I went through Grenville again year before last and found that the church has suffered a little more decline, but it's still pretty much like this. I think the reason is that since it's a long way from a freeway, nobody goes there. Well, Grenville's pretty much a ghost town now anyway.