Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sensor blooming Sony SLT  (Read 3343 times)

barryfitzgerald

Sensor blooming Sony SLT
« on: May 13, 2013, 01:39:17 pm »

Sony are saying this is normal for a CMOS sensor, but I'm not so sure.
It happens in contrasty light conditions night shooting or interior shots.

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues like this? They've replaced the camera, tried to repair the first one now they're saying it's "normal for CMOS sensors"
I'm not convinced, but would be interested to know if anyone else has had problems like this?

The effect is only present when there is a strong difference in light source (ie inside to outside) or night shots with lights. It is increased with higher ISO levels (though present on lower ISO levels too)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Sensor blooming Sony SLT
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 03:00:05 pm »

Hi,

If you mean that green band, I have not seen anything like that on any of my three SLTs. I don't say it is not there, just that I have not seen anything like that.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 05:51:15 pm »

Hi,

If you mean that green band, I have not seen anything like that on any of my three SLTs. I don't say it is not there, just that I have not seen anything like that.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik
Just wondering which models you have? This is an A57 SLT. I have done quite a lot of looking at my other files from Pentax and Nikon (the D7k using what I believe is a very similar or the same sensor) yet didn't find anything like this at all. I've looked at quite a few images on the A55 again nothing, and the A65/77 nothing shows there either.
I'm a bit puzzled to be honest.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 12:39:05 am »

Hi,

I have or had 55, 77, 99.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik
Just wondering which models you have? This is an A57 SLT. I have done quite a lot of looking at my other files from Pentax and Nikon (the D7k using what I believe is a very similar or the same sensor) yet didn't find anything like this at all. I've looked at quite a few images on the A55 again nothing, and the A65/77 nothing shows there either.
I'm a bit puzzled to be honest.
Erik Kaffehr

AlexRobinson

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 05:28:34 am »

Haven't personally seen it on our work A99 nor have I heard any complaints of something similar from the large number of our customers with SLT Alphas. My workmate also has an A57 and hasn't said any issues from the mirror at all. Might have to bring the A99 home and do some tests with it.

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:14:14 am »

Try opening such problem raw file in RawTherapee and use Highlight Reconstruction - either "Blend" or "Color Propagation". Increase value of the Highlight Recovery slider as desired. This will add a nice treatment for the false cyan colors.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 02:16:17 pm »

It's the bear wot dun it.

;-)

Rob C

P.S. Your office is almost as untidy as mine; but I bet mine has more dust too!

Fine_Art

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 10:55:19 am »

I have never had anything like that green line on thousands of shots.

Do you get it in the same conditions with a different lens? It could be the lens reflects part of the spectrum bounced off the sensor from the high light source left back at the sensor on the right. It could be the lens's poor coatings let a lot of light bounce around.

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 05:22:07 pm »

Lens makes no difference I have 10 lenses currently for A Mount all show it (newer ones and the vintage Minolta stuff)
After talking to Sony I get the feeling it's an oversight or something happened in production, but NEX5N also can show it. But they won't admit to a problem with the sensor, this is the third body after the first one got a sensor replacement and new mainboard. All showed this problem

For normal shooting it's not there at all, only in very high contrast situations like above.

douglasf13

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 10:19:25 pm »

That must be a pretty special circumstance.  My A700, A900, NEX-5, NEX-5N and NEX-7 never showed such a thing, at least in my shooting circumstances.

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 02:12:09 pm »

It only happens with a strong difference in lighting so it is not common for most day to day shooting. I did find a NEX5n sample that is similar:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mimura1018/8208562528/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Fine_Art

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 04:09:07 pm »

Are you using electronic first curtain or high speed mode? I am wondering if the sensor is failing to completely discharge.

Something like a sunset, with a dark foreground while the sun is still in the picture is pretty common. I have never seen one posted with a green line.

Is it only when the light source is very close to the short edge of the shot?

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 03:27:31 pm »

It makes no difference electronic front curtain or not (I've tried it)
Sunset, well the brightness difference has to be pretty big and I've not seen it in that shooting situation (at least yet)
The line will vary in intensity or when it appears depending on where it is in the frame. I suspect most folks have not noticed it as it doesn't show up in most shooting scenarios, but it could cause a problem for night shooting and interior shots.

Rand47

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 07:41:31 pm »

Rand Scott Adams

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 07:28:45 am »

That's a slightly different thing there possibly related to the SLT mirror (though I've not seen any issues with that so far)
This is clearly a sensor limitation, and not widespread to lots of cameras. I can only think it's a design oversight which has slipped through.

I did manage to get some compensation off Sony regarding the "months" of delays whilst trying to repair the camera (after annoying the heck out of them on facebook), however I suspect that some types of photography are not going to be practical with this model (night photography in some cases)
The Sony person I spoke to sent this to the top EU imaging team, with the response I got that this was "normal for CMOS sensors" I got conflicting information in the past, including the green line was fixed on one repair.

Reading between the lines they just won't admit it's a fault and it's swept under the carpet. I was offered a full refund but accepted a voucher and they also sent me a 18-135mm lens with the replacement body for some odd reason. I considered that covers the cost of the camera, but no the issues isn't resolved in relation to the sensor. It just means I effectively paid nothing for the camera after kicking up about it!

douglasf13

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 09:10:57 pm »

It only happens with a strong difference in lighting so it is not common for most day to day shooting. I did find a NEX5n sample that is similar:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mimura1018/8208562528/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Maybe I don't understand what I'm looking for.  Which part of this 5N picture has a problem?

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 07:39:32 pm »

Green line across the frame, starts at the light source and across the frame.

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 04:01:27 pm »

I also ran across some more A57 samples here:
http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=13191&p=54

Very strange things going on in the sky areas
Pages: [1]   Go Up