Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Catalog backup  (Read 7443 times)

Ian Westcough

Capture One Catalog backup
« on: May 13, 2013, 05:39:29 am »

I am at present a Lightroom user but the recent events with Adobe have thrown into doubt the continued existance of LR as a perpetual licence based application.
I am therefore investigating the alternatives and Capture One is my first alternative choice but I have a couple of questions which I hope someone can help me with.
1. Are the images imported into the catalog as master files like Aperture or as referenced files?
2. Are the images backed up with the catalog or do they need to be backed up separately as with LR?
3. If they are backed up withe catalog, is this an incremental back up?
4. Are deleted images also deleted in the back up copy?

regards
Ian
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 05:41:05 am by Ian Westcough »

ario

Re: Capture One Catalog backup
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 10:29:34 am »

The original images can be either stored inside the catalog or referenced, you have both options same as in Aperture.
The back-up of the catalog does not include the original images, no matter if the images are referenced or managed
A back-up of the original images can be created during the import process in the place of your choice, if the relevant option is checked
The back-up copy of the original images is not affected if the images are deleted from the catalog
This is my understanding

Ian Westcough

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 10:46:51 am »

Thanks for your reply Ario.
It would seem like LR in that a backup copy can be saved during import but after that it's up to you to control the backup copies.
Is this also true of Aperture then do you know?
I was hoping that any additions/deletions from the catalog were controlled by the catalog if the images were inside the catalog.
Perhaps I'm expecting too much?

regards
Ian

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 08:59:23 am »

Thanks for your reply Ario.
It would seem like LR in that a backup copy can be saved during import but after that it's up to you to control the backup copies.
Is this also true of Aperture then do you know?
I was hoping that any additions/deletions from the catalog were controlled by the catalog if the images were inside the catalog.
Perhaps I'm expecting too much?

regards
Ian

Hi Ian,

If the images are inside the catalog then you don't have to make any decisions about where to place your images - as I think you are implying?

The backup ONLY backups Catalog structure - not the images themselves.  But I expect you are running somekind of file backup routine where this would be covered.

Any other questions, let us know!

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 03:48:01 pm »

Any other questions, let us know!
Have you any plans to offer a migration assistant to help make a transition from LR to Capture One Pro ?

My guess would be that converting collections and keywording could be reasonably straight forward. Maybe it would also be possible to convert some of the develop settings to something that might be, at least, a starting point for further refinement in C1P ?

I think there's going to be a lot of photographers looking at moving away from Adobe now and Phase One looks to be a choice that many would be happy with. If a method of easing that move away from LR could be created it would make your product seem even more appealing.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 06:27:04 am »

Have you any plans to offer a migration assistant to help make a transition from LR to Capture One Pro ?

My guess would be that converting collections and keywording could be reasonably straight forward. Maybe it would also be possible to convert some of the develop settings to something that might be, at least, a starting point for further refinement in C1P ?

I think there's going to be a lot of photographers looking at moving away from Adobe now and Phase One looks to be a choice that many would be happy with. If a method of easing that move away from LR could be created it would make your product seem even more appealing.

Hi again,

If in Lightroom you elect to have your keywords and ratings in .xmp sidecar files you can enable that option in Capture One as well - or at least to sync those across.

So if you point Capture One to your existing folder(s) of images on your storage and set in the Capture One prefs to sync the XMP data, then you can bring those elements across.

Yes, you are right that develop settings would be a much bigger challenge.  Elements like WB might not be too hard but transforming color corrections would be tough!

But, its a good comment to hear and its always discussed a lot!

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 06:41:27 am »

But, its a good comment to hear and its always discussed a lot!
Well worth some serious consideration by Phase One I'd have thought.
I doubt many people would expect to be able to do exact matches, but getting a few steps towards a 'good starting point' would provide a great option for anyone thinking of changing to CO
Pages: [1]   Go Up