Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X Pro 1 and non-Fuji lenses  (Read 4884 times)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Fuji X Pro 1 and non-Fuji lenses
« on: April 24, 2013, 06:55:48 pm »

I am quite tempted by the X Pro 1, but am reasonably well invested in Nikon glass, and I love my D700, so I was quite interested in hearing about the various adaptors that allow non-Fuji lenses to be used.

Anyone any experience of Nikon glass on an X Pro 1, which are the best adaptors, issues with non-Fuji lenses (focusing, metering etc) and so on?

Glenn NK

Re: Fuji X Pro 1 and non-Fuji lenses
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:08:38 pm »

No experience with Nikon glass or Fuji X Pro or X-E1, but am looking at Olympus E-M5, and found this:

http://www.43rumors.com/kipon-eos-to-m43-adpater-with-full-electronic-control/

I believe it's available for Nikon to M43 too.

Not cheap, but if you have a stable of good Nikon glass . . . .

Glenn

PS:  Ask telecaster:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=77512.0
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 12:30:38 am »

There are adapters for just about any type of lens. I have used Canon FD and EOS lenses. The FD lenses have manual aperture control. The lenses that work the best will obviously be ones that have manual aperture settable, which I believe are the Nikon G series, but I am probably mistaken as I am not a Nikon guy. Leica M and R lenses have adapters as well as a lot of other lenses, it is a pretty rich field. The one thing that is kind of nice is Fuji has two slots in the firmware for holding the focal length of these manual lenses so that at least the focal length appears in the EXIF, aperture information is not included as there is no interface to read the aperture that you have shot.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

DanielStone

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 03:02:41 am »

I have a Novoflex FUX-NIK adapter I used with my former X-Pro1 system w/ MF Nikon lenses.
Since I no longer have the camera, I'm selling the adapter off, I'm asking $245 shipped

Save yourself $50 or so after shipping :)

Same as this one here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888375-REG/Novoflex_fux_nik_Adapter_for_Nikon_Lenses.html

send me a PM if you are interested

Cheers,
Dan

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 07:14:20 am »

Thanks Dan, but I'm UK-based, and post & import duties would swallow any saving there might be.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 09:53:22 pm »

I routinely use a Nikon 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor vintage 1975 with an inexpensive adapter on my Olympus OM-D with excellent results. I have also used a 1950's M-Leica 90mm f/2.8 Elmarit with the OM-D. It's not even that hard to focus with the ability to program a button to magnify the image. All these lenses are automatically image stabilized on the Oly. Unfortunately the Fuji's have only the two zooms with stabilization. Were it body stabilized, I might own one. Lloyd Chambers seems to believe the mirrorless future is with the APS-C sensor cameras but none can match the Nikon D800E for image quality though they certainly do a good job with portability..

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 04:14:05 am »

... none can match the Nikon D800E for image quality though they certainly do a good job with portability..

The idea of an X-Pro 1 is for just that reason - portability in comparison to my D700, in particular for travel, mountaineering etc

BJL

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 08:56:53 am »

Lloyd Chambers seems to believe the mirrorless future is with the APS-C sensor cameras but none can match the Nikon D800E for image quality though they certainly do a good job with portability ...
And my bike wins for portability and the ability to explore mountain trails and such and is just more fun to use when I am out to see the sights around me, but my pick-up wins for hauling capacity --- different tools for different goals. (Except that my mirror-free camera can also "haul" better than my 35mm film cameras ever did, so that analogy breaks does a bit.)

P. S. Does Lloyd Chambers really associate mirror-less specifically with "APS-C", despite the majority of mirror-less market being in smaller formats like 4/3"? And does he really confound two independent factors, sensor size and VF technology, jus because so far, almost all mirror-free systems are in formats smaller than 36x24mm?
Pages: [1]   Go Up