Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji moving to discontinue the X-Pro1. What's up?  (Read 6219 times)

Codger

Fuji moving to discontinue the X-Pro1. What's up?
« on: April 23, 2013, 09:05:43 pm »

A good camera and system -- evolving, introducing new lenses, promising important firmware updates -- and now rumors are surging that some dealers are marking the XP1 down for clearance.  Is this a reliable sign that there's an X-Pro2 around the corner?  A different, newer body that will consolidate the better attributes of two or three of the X-family members?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Re: Fuji moving to discontinue the X-Pro1. What's up?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 10:34:03 pm »

I would rather spend my time taking pictures. There will always be replacements, that is a fact of the digital world. There will always be rumors, and I don't waste my time with them, as they do not stop me from using my camera at this moment.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

rpsphoto

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 01:13:51 am »

It has more to do with consumer electronics and much, much less to do with photography.
Best regards,
 Bob CEO, CFO, EIEIO, Ret.

Petrus

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 01:54:56 am »

Every camera model will be discontinued sometime. Either because it does not sell, or because it is replaced with a new version. There are two reasons why X-Pro1 bodies might be discounted: I has served its purpose to establish the Fujifilm line of X-cameras and they need not to get the premium price for it anymore, just enough more to pay for the optical viewfinder manufacturing costs compared to X-E1 (which many people prefer for cost and size reasons). Or: new version is in the horizon and stocks need to be cleared before the announcement.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 04:20:34 am »

I would rather spend my time taking pictures. There will always be replacements, that is a fact of the digital world. There will always be rumors, and I don't waste my time with them, as they do not stop me from using my camera at this moment.

Alan

You are absolutely right. As is the person further on who indicates that photography is now but a part of the electronics industry.

The glory days are past, both for the bulk of us who made a good(ish) living as normal, average advertising photographers as for the legion of skilled darkroom staff that toiled behind many of the brighter stars of our firmament.

I think we are relics, fossils in the shale.

Rob C

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 12:10:51 pm »

Rob C

I can feel my body getting stiffer and less bendable.... doh that must be getting older.....  ;D

Camera bodies now are like film in a way, you use them until you have a "roll" done, in this case the camera can be used for many, many shots, but the real investment and value is in good lenses, you can change bodies but a good lens last for a very long time....

Fuji did good with a good set of lenses and that will last for many bodies......

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 04:56:21 pm »

I first heard that from a professional photographer in the late 50's.  He was a well known news photographer, grousing to my class of 15 year old wannabees as he demonstrated his 4x5 Speed Graphic kit.  You know, enormous silvery reflector with immense flash bulbs.  And bellows, and sheet film holders.  Goddam kids with those Nikons were degrading the profession.  My first inkling that obsolescence is usually a choice, not a requirement.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 05:09:02 pm »

Rob C

You sure seem pretty chatty for a stone, Rob :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

NancyP

So are you Rob Cretaceous?
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 07:28:22 pm »

;D  Rob Cambrian? .....

MarkL

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 08:05:44 am »

Mirrorless is a fast changing area so just like early dslrs the lifecycle is rather fast - I am sue fuji will want people to buy into their system asap rather than the latest from m4/3rds or sony. Fuji's X100 and X1-pro were also slated for AF performance and usability issues, the X100s clearly being a 'fixed' X100.

Deardorff

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 08:35:26 am »

I first heard that from a professional photographer in the late 50's.  He was a well known news photographer, grousing to my class of 15 year old wannabees as he demonstrated his 4x5 Speed Graphic kit.  You know, enormous silvery reflector with immense flash bulbs.  And bellows, and sheet film holders.  Goddam kids with those Nikons were degrading the profession.  My first inkling that obsolescence is usually a choice, not a requirement.

I have yet to see an improvement in boxing photography over what many of those old guys with speed graphics captured.

More photos now, more color but not the same as the old pros got 'in the dark ages' with the press cameras.

K.C.

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 07:46:43 pm »

I have yet to see an improvement in boxing photography over what many of those old guys with speed graphics captured.

More photos now, more color but not the same as the old pros got 'in the dark ages' with the press cameras.

Which speaks to how subjective the perception of quality is. If you're a twenty something and have never used anything but your phone camera then you most likely think those old speed graphic images just look old.
Pages: [1]   Go Up