Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D MkII histogram in LV different in movie and exp. sim.  (Read 1773 times)

jsch

Hello,

perhaps I oversee something. But I have problems with my Canon 5D MkII in live view. I would like to use the histogram overlay in live view to see whether my exposure setting is good.

My general setting is "Stills+movie" and "Movie display". This works fine most of the time. But if I need longer exposure times than 1/30th of a second I change to "Stills+movie" and "Exposure simulation". I then have the following effect if I change nothing than the live view setting: The exposure meter reading stays the same but the histogram is shifted about 2 gridlines to the left and the live image in the display gets a lot darker. If I expose the image it is well exposed as the exposure meter indicates.

This is pretty annoying, because I can't use the histogram to see in LV whether I'm ETTR enough before the exposure as it works smoothly with the "Movie display" setting.

To say it again differently: I would like that for exposure times longer than 1/30th of a second I can use the histogram overlay  in live view in the same way it works with "Movie display" for times shorter than 1/30th of a second.

What do I (or my camera) wrong?

Thank you.

Best,
Johannes
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:57:53 pm by jsch »

stevesanacore

Re: Canon 5D MkII histogram in LV different in movie and exp. sim.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 01:17:56 pm »

Are you shooting stills or movies? If you are shooting video at 30fps, your shutter speed can't be more, (longer), than 1/30.
We don't know what we don't know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up