Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-Pro 1: In a class by itself?  (Read 8659 times)

Codger

Fuji X-Pro 1: In a class by itself?
« on: April 18, 2013, 02:44:00 am »

I read Michael R's updated assessment of Fuji's X-Pro 1 with great interest.  It sounds hard to beat, considering the IQ, usability, smart design and build quality.  Apparently the recent firmware update added more polish and resolved some issues.  With the suggested 18-55mm zoom lens, B&H lists it for right at US $2,100.  QUESTION:  Is there any other candidate within $400 that offers the same (or more) performance and satisfaction for a body and interchangeable lens?

brianrybolt

Re: Fuji X-Pro 1: In a class by itself?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:29:31 am »

Only Fuji's X-E1 that I know of.

Brian

JimGoshorn

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 12:37:03 pm »

I got an XE-1 and am very happy with it. You do lose the hybrid OVF though, so if that's important to you then the X-Pro-1 is it.

Jim

hasselbladfan

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 01:19:21 pm »

If we can believe the rumors, there will be a Sigma DPM this year (with zoom). It will probably be much cheaper than the Fuji.

In case you prefer fixed lenses, the DP2 Merrill is a good alternative. Great IQ.

Petrus

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 01:28:50 pm »

I had both X-Pro1 and X-E1, but traded the later in, with 18mm lens, for X100s which also has hybrid viewfinder like X-Pro1, and a fixed 23mm lens. As they have the same sensor I now have 14mm, 23mm, 35mm and 60mm on two cameras producing identical picture quality. X-Pro1 has actually given me the kick to start to photograph for fun again, after 35 years of doing it for money only.

Codger

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 02:50:50 pm »

I strongly prefer the interchangeability feature.  Yes, I've read dozens (hundreds?) of glowing reports about the little Sigma fixed-lens cameras, but don't want to carry (or pay for) more than one body to utilize different focal lengths.  It's looking like the X-Pro 1 is uniquely worthy.

Petrus

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 01:30:32 am »

I strongly prefer the interchangeability feature.  Yes, I've read dozens (hundreds?) of glowing reports about the little Sigma fixed-lens cameras, but don't want to carry (or pay for) more than one body to utilize different focal lengths.  It's looking like the X-Pro 1 is uniquely worthy.

I have 2 bodies mostly as backup*, and it is often useful (street, travel photography) to have 2 different lenses available at the same time. I like fast primes better then bulky and slow(er) zoom, having gotten used to 2-3 SLR bodies hanging from my neck in the good old zoomless times...

*) Go for a 3 week assignment abroad to a place with no camera shops, and the only camera malfunctions...

Codger

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 03:34:13 pm »

I, too, prefer primes.  With my 67 kit I carry five primes.  I had used Michael's positive review of the 18-55 zoom to configure a simple, basic Fuji kit that was cost conscious.  I would lean toward the three-lens complement of wide/normal/short tele, personally.  By the way, is there an effective remote shutter-release device available?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 04:07:06 pm »

I, too, prefer primes.  With my 67 kit I carry five primes.  I had used Michael's positive review of the 18-55 zoom to configure a simple, basic Fuji kit that was cost conscious.  I would lean toward the three-lens complement of wide/normal/short tele, personally.  By the way, is there an effective remote shutter-release device available?

On the X-Pro 1 it is a standard screw in cable release. On the X-E1 it can also be an electronic type.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Codger

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 07:15:49 pm »

Are you saying NO for a remote cable release for the X-Pro1; only a cable release?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 12:32:07 am »

Are you saying NO for a remote cable release for the X-Pro1; only a cable release?

That is correct, just the cable release on the X-Pro1. The X-E1 they modified it so it could use an external release.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up