Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tool or Feature to Make Spots and Sensor Dust Easier to Visualize and Fix  (Read 7218 times)

Ronald NZ Tan

Good morning!

LR forum is having a field day with the new release of the beta of Lightroom 5 and my favorite new feature in LR5 is the option to help visual spots and sensor dust better! How great would our C1PRO7+ be, if we have a similar tool or feature?

Here is the official LR5 YouTube video. I already configured the link to start playing at the 4:30 mark: http://youtu.be/s2xNLS0KjcY?t=4m30s.

How many C1PRO7 users think the ability to better visualize spots and sensor dust will make for a better and practical C1PRO using experience?

I am curious to read your thoughts. Thank you for reading and please have a great day!

Yours sincerely,

Ron

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

Have you ever used the LCC Dust Removal Tool in Capture One?

MUCH better than dealing with dust one spec at a time.

Ronald NZ Tan

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the reply. I am a DSLR user. I shoot with Canon 7D and use the Nikon D40X as my backup. I thought the LCC tool you mentioned is for medium backs. My Canon 7D is weather-sealed; however sometimes the dust goes in when I am changing lenses. Even with the built-in sensor cleaner when turning-on and turning-off, sensor dust is annoying! I have used swabs and the magnetic Visible Dust tools to clean at the hardware level.

—Ron

Ronald NZ Tan

I have remained steadfast and mainly correcting spots and dust at the hardware level. When Doug mentioned about the LCC in C1PRO7, I only have vague understanding of the LCC tool in C1PRO. Any additional dust and sensor spots are corrected in Photoshop.

Anyway . . . as I read around, I found this image from C1PRO blog. What is the "plate" in front of the following image in front of the Canon? I looks like plastic-y material allowing some light to pass through to the lens. The looks like a thin plastic carving board used in the kitchen.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:05:24 pm by Ronald Nyein Zaw Tan »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

It's an LCC plate and can be ordered from any Phase One dealer. Ourselves included.

Or on the cheap you can use any piece of semi-translucent matte-on-one-side plexiglass. While the Phase One LCC panel was carefully selected for it's specific thickness/opacity/mattess it is not magic. You're just using it to show the software what is a piece of dust vs an object in the scene. Computers are incredibly good about removing noise when you characterize the noise for it. The LCC dust removal method will almost always catch and correct more pieces of dust in a few seconds (and batch applicable to all images in a folder - in raw) then a human operator could correct in 10 minutes of hand retouching regardless of what filters you throw on the image to make the dust easier to see.

With medium format systems the sensor is more easily accessible so a quick puff from a air ball takes care of most dust without hassle, and particularly bad dust can be cleaned with a quick swab. So this method is disproportionately useful to to 35mm dSLRs users where cleaning dust is more like performing surgery. But it is useful to just about any camera.
Pages: [1]   Go Up