Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe98 for web? - sRGB gamut appears to clip color.  (Read 1449 times)

kw104

Adobe98 for web? - sRGB gamut appears to clip color.
« on: April 11, 2013, 06:17:02 pm »

First post here; please excuse me if this has been covered and my search missed it...
Here is my problem.
I have 3 images of a silk jacket which is a slightly reflective turquoise(ish) color. They're shot for web and I was processing in photoshop in sRGB colorspace (I usually work in adobe98). I finally realized that I can't match the product in sRGB but CAN in adobe98...
I believe the host honors profiles in their main product page but uses flash for zooming which I believe disregards profiles.
I have three shots of this item. One will be in environment and can have a profile embedded but the other two will be silos and are .pngs which cannot hold profiles as far as I know.
SO - what should I do?
Is this thinking right?
I supply the images all processed in adobe98. (jpg - with profile embedded. png's - without/default)
If the users browser is enabled, the jpg will display properly. If sRGB is the assumed profile the image will simply look like it does if I convert it to sRGB myself, correct?
Sheesh! what a day, anyone know why my art directors computer displays images differently in Quark than Photoshop no matter what the Quark settings are??? (sorry).
Thanks for your time!

MarkM

• Alaska Photographer Mark Meyer
Re: Adobe98 for web? - sRGB gamut appears to clip color.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:24:42 pm »

Your think would be right so long as you can assume the user is using:

1. A color-aware browser
2. A calibrated Monitor
3. A wide gamut monitor

Since your destination is the web, you probably can't assume any of these let alone all three. If the color you are trying to reproduce really is outside the sRGB gamut, then it's going to be outside the gamut of many user's monitors as well. Sending them adobeRGB images won't change that.

Also you're not quite right about what happens when the browser is not color managed. If you send an Adobe RGB image to something that assumes it's sRGB it will not look the same as that image converted to sRGB. If you want to see what an AdobeRGB image will look like in a system that assumes it is sRGB, open in photoshop and assign sRGB. This will show what those RGB numbers look like when interpreted in the sRGB space.

Also, you can embed a profile in a png—you need to go through the regular save dialog, not save for web. I'm not sure what browsers support it (Safari and Chrome on the Mac do).

As far as Quark goes—I stopped using it at version 6 (or was it 5?) and switched to inDesign. One of the reasons was those horrible color previews.

kw104

Re: Adobe98 for web? - sRGB gamut appears to clip color.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 07:04:14 pm »

Thanks Mark.
I found that the clients web hosting service is set to convert everything to sRGB anyway, so my decision was a bit easier.
Thank you for the tip regarding photoshop allowing profiles using save as png instead of export to png.
Also, thanks for reassuring me that Quark was the problem as I was hoping it was (and not me).
Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up