Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spring slopes  (Read 1515 times)

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
Spring slopes
« on: April 11, 2013, 02:04:22 am »

This is the valley that contains the Lafayette reservoir, and that is the hazy outline of Mt. Diablo in the distance. I haven't cloned out traces of urbanization, but with the burst of lush greenery after Spring rains subsided there is hopefully not too much to worry about.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Spring slopes
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 03:27:07 am »

The panorama is pleasant. I think the flowers would have benefitted from being taken from further to the right, so the blurred flowers in the background wouldn't conflict with the subject; but maybe there's something out of shot that I can't see.

Jeremy

francois

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 06:47:08 am »

I'm not so hot about the flowers. The green tones are vibrant but the whole image is a bit messy. Blurring the background might be the answer?

The panorama is much better. I like the sense of depth with the haze on the distant hills. The V-shaped  foreground guides my eyes to the reservoir's waters and then into the landscape. I find that the extreme right of this panorama doesn't bring much to the image (but, on the other hand, doesn't make it less nice).
Francois

gerafotografija

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 11:18:22 am »

Thanks for the comments. I have quite a bit of room for trimming on either side of the pano, since it is wider than any standard size. I'll see what I can do.

It was taken with a new system that seems to be hit or miss as far as the stitching goes – in this case, it was perfect OOC without any seams visible. I tried to load a higher resolution verision to share the sharp details in the lower half of the frame, but the server would only take the more compressed file.

I have to admit my skills in landscape photography are woefully inadequete at this point, so the feedback on the composition is much appreciated.

Here's some more background on the location, which I've been watching through the seasons for a couple years now. This point along the Skyline Trail seems to be the only place to get a vista that doesn't include nearby  roads and houses, but I have been struggling to find a time of day when the lighting is decent when viewed from that direction.

In this case, the cloud cover was just being broken up by gusty winds and there were dark shadows moving across the nearby slope, and at the same time the rest of the scene was hazy in a way that seemed vaguely similar to the way a painter would change the color tones to make them recede into the background. Actually, I tried a black and white coversion, and the foreground had the most yellow/red, mid-ground aqua, and background had a heavy blue cast. I'll try posting the monochrome version when I'm convinced its done.

It was a tough day for wildflowers, hundreds of acres of them, but extremely gusty so difficult to get really sharp shots. Will keep trying with those while they are still blooming.

gerafotografija

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 01:20:50 pm »

I was thinking some of the buildings closer to the horizon, and maybe the cattle watering tank in the foreground, but good point about the man-made water body being no more natural than Hetch Hetchy at this point.

Maybe a reasonable goal would be to replace the current picture in the Wikipedia entry for Lafayette Reservoir, with this one?

gerafotografija

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 04:10:37 pm »

I see, I was thinking aesthetics, but distracting probably covers this. For instance if the lush foliage was less so, there would most likely be a road with cars somewhere near the middle of the frame. I think the timing of this was good for the bucolic look, but I might be tempted to enhance in post under less ideal circumstances if the point was natural beauty.

Does that make sense?
Pages: [1]   Go Up