Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony NEX battery performance  (Read 954 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Sony NEX battery performance
« on: April 10, 2013, 09:17:55 am »

There's precious little not to like about the relatively new Sony NEX 6 and the suite of e-mount lenses it may be equipped with. I recently completed a photo-shoot including some 2400 exposures. My only issue is with the camera's battery. My standard set-up and routine is to photograph only in RAW, 3:2 aspect ratio, and very quickly playback each photo for the histogram and focus only (takes about a second or two). The camera power goes into sleep mode if unused for more than one minute. (I tried using the maximum power save mode, but this is a total nuisance, given how quickly it shuts down and the time it takes to reawaken.) Under these conditions, I am not getting more than about 125 images from a battery charge. I carry three batteries and that is usually enough to keep me going between the availability of charging opportunities.

I think this is pretty dismal energy performance. I have no idea whether the cause is with the camera or the batteries or more likely a combination thereof. Nor do I know whether this is a necessary compromise to achieve the small size and great portability of this camera. However, I'm wondering what the experience and technical thoughts of other users of the NEX-6 system may be in this respect.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Sony NEX battery performance
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:20:49 am »

Mark:

I would agree, the Nex-7 which I carry on most trips, will do closer to 400 exposures with a lot of playback and EVF use.  The battery also has a great shelf life as many times it sits in my studio for 3 weeks before I need it and I will forget to charge it.  I find the only thing that taxes the Nex-7 is video.  I am not sure if Nex 7 and 6 take the same battery. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Sony NEX battery performance
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 02:07:14 pm »

I think it's the same battery in both models - Sony NP-FW50. If I had your battery performance I'd be sa happy camper. This would seem to suggest the issue is with NEX-6 camera energy consumption.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up