Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma 35mm f1.4 on D800  (Read 34587 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Sigma 35mm f1.4 on D800
« on: April 08, 2013, 08:45:58 pm »

This lens is simply amazing! I was a bit hesitating because I would have prefer a slightly more compact option to replace my aging Nikkor 35mm f2.0, but I decided to move forward and am glad I did.

The lack of distorsion, quality of the bokeh and detail/contrast at f1.4 makes it an amazing all rounder for casual shooting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/72157633193990902/

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

Re: Sigma 35mm f1.4 on D800
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 04:27:08 am »

This lens is simply amazing! I was a bit hesitating because I would have prefer a slightly more compact option to replace my aging Nikkor 35mm f2.0, but I decided to move forward and am glad I did.

The lack of distorsion, quality of the bokeh and detail/contrast at f1.4 makes it an amazing all rounder for casual shooting.

Cheers,
Bernard

Which 2/35mm, Bernard? I've just bought myself a used AIS one and have not had much opportunity to try it out beyond a single shot made during dim weather, wide open at f2. I got the impression that it has a fair amount of fall-off, which of itself, doesn't worry me too much since I tend to enjoy the look of vignettes (sometimes, if suited to the shot!) I used to have a 2.8/35mm Nikkor from the 60s that gave me the sharpest images I got from any other lens. Reviews at the time (in the BJP) suggested that the slower lens was the better lens.

I read that the af version of the 2/35mm isn't much good: is that the one which you used to have?

If I can find it, I post the single shot to which I referred above, made with the new/old lens at - I think - f2. The bare metal markings on the green lighthouse structure on the left were the focussed area.

Rob C

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 05:31:51 am »

Which 2/35mm, Bernard? I've just bought myself a used AIS one and have not had much opportunity to try it out beyond a single shot made during dim weather, wide open at f2. I got the impression that it has a fair amount of fall-off, which of itself, doesn't worry me too much since I tend to enjoy the look of vignettes (sometimes, if suited to the shot!)

Hi Rob,

I was referring to the 35mm f2.0 AFD.

it is not a bad lens, but the Sigma is just in a different class.

Did it rain?

Cheers,
Bernard

wolfbellw.

• http://www.wolfgang-bellwinkel.de
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 05:51:36 am »

i absolutely agree with bernhard.
i would say the sigma is the best lens i own for the 800e.
stopped down a bit its sharp to the far edges and here lays the problem
i have with quite a few - much more expensive - nikon lenses (the 24pc for example).
its a bit heavy though but nicely built.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 06:23:13 am »

Rob, apologies, it is I who should reread Bernard's first post.

No problem Keith, I'm apt to wander quite a lot.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:24:54 am »

Hi Rob,

I was referring to the 35mm f2.0 AFD.

it is not a bad lens, but the Sigma is just in a different class.

Did it rain?

Cheers,
Bernard

Yes, but a bit later on.

;-)

Rob C

MarkL

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 07:57:40 am »

The talk of af issues specific to the D800 worry me a bit, I may pick one up when I can afford it from somewhere with a good returns policy.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 10:05:38 am »

The talk of af issues specific to the D800 worry me a bit, I may pick one up when I can afford it from somewhere with a good returns policy.

That, you should be telling Nikon: they need to understand that a Final Inspection Department is a great idea.

No one should think that the client is that department.

Rob C

TMARK

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 10:17:28 am »

I think the earlier ones had some issues.  My Summer 2012 D800e is FLAWLESS.  No focus issues, AF works as expected.  My only faults with the camera have to do with it not being the size of a Leica M and a VF that is not great.  Not that its terrible, but its not great.  Then there is moire, which can be cleaned up. 

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 12:10:09 pm »

Bernard

I agree - and not just for casual shooting.  It's a great tripod lens too, with phenomenal edge to edge sharpness stopped down

Or handheld at wide aperture

Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 12:47:10 pm »

I am curious, how does this Sigma compare in sharpness with Nikon 60mm AF-S?

Fine_Art

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 02:37:04 pm »

The one I tried was brutally sharp at close range where I had corrected the strong back focus with fine tune. At longer ranges it seemed just good. I was not sure if that was normal or out of focus alignment. I returned it.

The bokeh is excellent (similar to Minolta macros or Gs) where it does not draw attention to itself with a style, the focus just blends away like mist. I love that effect. I would recommend the lens for that as a main feature.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 03:56:59 pm »

I would like to know if the autofocus is really fast...
I must say that i find the Nikkor fixed focals a bit sluggish. ( when compared to the 70-200 VRII)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 06:54:31 pm »

I have no back or front focus issues at any distance and its resolving power is outstanding on my D800E.  No fine tuning required.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

MarkL

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 07:51:33 am »

That, you should be telling Nikon: they need to understand that a Final Inspection Department is a great idea.

No one should think that the client is that department.

Rob C

It does sound like there may be (or have been) specific issues with the D800 and this lens from the guys on the fred miranda forum most notably requiring different af fine tune values acorss the frame.

Even aside from the famous left focus issue Nikon's quality control and manufacturing tolerences are very poor. Having to spend your time testing lenses (often with 3d party software to do a good job) and then putting in a crude offset is not very good. My D800 still can't constantly nail focus at 1.4.

TMARK

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 10:24:21 am »

It does sound like there may be (or have been) specific issues with the D800 and this lens from the guys on the fred miranda forum most notably requiring different af fine tune values acorss the frame.

Even aside from the famous left focus issue Nikon's quality control and manufacturing tolerences are very poor. Having to spend your time testing lenses (often with 3d party software to do a good job) and then putting in a crude offset is not very good. My D800 still can't constantly nail focus at 1.4.

When was your D800 manufactured?  I ask because it seems the earlier ones had some issues.

About focus at 1.4, I've never had any camera hit focus at 1.4 better that 70% of the time, Canon or Nikon.  I suspect this has more to do with the lenses than anything else. 

Fine_Art

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 12:06:01 pm »

When was your D800 manufactured?  I ask because it seems the earlier ones had some issues.

About focus at 1.4, I've never had any camera hit focus at 1.4 better that 70% of the time, Canon or Nikon.  I suspect this has more to do with the lenses than anything else. 

Its possible. The lens I tested I focus checked at f2, 2.8 as well as wide open. The only other Sigma lens I own focuses fine at 1.8 but has issues at infinity. At close range it is great.

swisscheese

• Marschall Photography
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 12:17:45 pm »

I found that my focal plane with this combo is slightly diagonal, e.g. the focal plane on the left side is closer to the camera, than on the right. Kind of like in your second image, judged by the focus on the wooden plate. i did send the lens in, and it is better, but still off a little. I do not see this with my other lenses.
Anybody else noticed this?

Markus

NicoChina

• nicolasharter.com
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 11:37:00 pm »

Hi Bernard :)

How is the autofocus?
I replaced my 35 F2.0 by the nikkor AFG 1.4 a few month before the release of the Sigma and while I do like the images that i get, i keep struggling with the super slow AF. Since it's a lens that I do use a lot for reportage / social events I do need to "catch the moment" quite often. A fellow photographer sold his own 35 AFG 1.4 for the Zeiss one and I feel he might beat my Nikkor's AF by manual focusing.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 12:18:24 am »

How is the autofocus?
I replaced my 35 F2.0 by the nikkor AFG 1.4 a few month before the release of the Sigma and while I do like the images that i get, i keep struggling with the super slow AF. Since it's a lens that I do use a lot for reportage / social events I do need to "catch the moment" quite often. A fellow photographer sold his own 35 AFG 1.4 for the Zeiss one and I feel he might beat my Nikkor's AF by manual focusing.

Hi Nico,

AF worked very well when I had to shoot the after wedding party of a friend a few weeks ago. That was just before Nikon upgraded the Firmware of the d800, it may be even better now, but I had no chance to try in a challenging environment.

My experience is only with AF-S though, i have not tried AF-C.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up