Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunset  (Read 4261 times)

matoqui

• M. Toledo Photography
Sunset
« on: April 02, 2013, 07:48:23 pm »

Sunset at Cabo Rojo, PR. C&C are welcomed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 07:49:58 pm by matoqui »

thierrylegros396

Re: Sunset
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 07:01:21 am »

Was it really like that or HDR boosted ?!

matoqui

• M. Toledo Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 07:36:31 am »

I emphasized the drama using Nik Color Efex Pro, but it is a single exposure and didn't use an hdr filter. The scene didn't look exactly like that, but it was not too different.

francois

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 07:46:24 am »

I like it but find the sky a bit overdone for my tastes… But it's only my opinion and if you are pleased with this effect, that's OK.
Francois

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 10:09:41 am »

I like it but find the sky a bit overdone for my tastes… But it's only my opinion and if you are pleased with this effect, that's OK.
I agree with Francois. The colors in the sky seem to be competing with the gentler colors in the foreground. To me, the most interesting part is that foreground, which is quite lovely. If it were my photo, I'd try to desaturate the sky a bit just to try to get it to somewhat match the foreground.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 10:40:03 am »

I agree with Francois. The colors in the sky seem to be competing with the gentler colors in the foreground. To me, the most interesting part is that foreground, which is quite lovely. If it were my photo, I'd try to desaturate the sky a bit just to try to get it to somewhat match the foreground.

Exactly, my eyes go to the sky and don't stay on that very nice foreground.
Francois

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 11:07:53 am »

Yes, the sky is too strong for my taste.

Even the foreground seems a bit strong, perhaps less local contrast would suit the soft nature of waves and sand.

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 12:22:45 pm »

I see 2 very nice horizontal images.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

matoqui

• M. Toledo Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 04:29:27 pm »

Nice idea! I love the square format, so here they are. I like them. It is nice to have so many pixels! Thank you all for your great observations!

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 07:15:01 pm »

I agree with the guys. IMO it has too much of a HDR look about it that looks unnatural. My guess is you used tonal contrast to beef up local contrast and structure. I just think it's gone a bit too far. Sorry :)

matoqui

• M. Toledo Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 08:38:09 pm »

Thanks Edna for taking the time to look at the picture! I am getting very useful feedback from you guys.

I re-processed the images in an attempt to avoid the HDR-look, and have included the new version. Do you find these better?

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 07:55:39 am »

I would ask the question what are the subjects, and are they strong, or mutually effective. I think the sky is the least important element (HDR or not) - you might consider cropping off the sky just below the dark horizon line.  Then the photo becomes about water, water over sand, and sand/beach.  The foreground rippled sand is the most interesting thing to me...and it might be worth shifting the importance to that.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 08:18:21 am »

I re-processed the images in an attempt to avoid the HDR-look, and have included the new version. Do you find these better?
I do like them better and I had no problem with the cropping of the original. I think toning down that sky, though, is headed in the right direction. Mask it off from the CEP4 filter? Graduated opacity? As Francois said, I think, if you like it that's what it should be. Esthetics are like opinions, ever one has them ;) Wonderful image.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 09:34:22 am »

I would ask the question what are the subjects, and are they strong, or mutually effective.

Yes, I think there is too much uninteresting mid-ground between the sand and sky.

I do like the new processing.

matoqui

• M. Toledo Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 10:12:11 am »

I will tone down the sky on the top image and post it later. By the way I agree with Brandt that the original cropping also works (with the toned-down sky).

Thanks for taking the time to look at the picture!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:17:09 am by matoqui »

juliandecourcy

• View Through A Camera
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 11:38:15 am »

The layers of differing interest within each image is very good and I like that side of the images very much. As has been mentioned about the processing, I do agree with a lot with what has been said but nevertheless very worthwhile showing the images and look forward to seeing if you can come up with a different version. I find the sky can at times end up with the look in these images does happen and it is very hard to get something acceptable most of the time.

thanks for posting these I have taken something worthwhile away to remember.   

matoqui

• M. Toledo Photography
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 07:58:35 pm »

After looking at the different versions on my screen, this one is the one I like most. It's the original image cropped to a 5x7 format and with a less saturated sky - something similar to what Brandt suggested. Now I will print it, tape the print on the wall in front of my desk, and wait for a few weeks to find out if I really like it!

Thanks again to everyone for offering your points of view!  

- Manuel
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:41:43 pm by matoqui »

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 10:36:49 pm »

Oh, yeah, Baby! Terrific!
Pages: [1]   Go Up