Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fury Cows  (Read 5684 times)

Fury Cows
« on: November 29, 2002, 03:37:40 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I continue to insist that they are furry cows. Ever see what a bull can do to a matadore?  [/font]

Mike from Ohio

Fury Cows
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2002, 08:53:40 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Moo...I was just trying to do a public service announcement. I don't know of too many farm cows that will tear you to pieces if they are having a bad day. Bulls are another story but they are not cows. They are bulls.

Often even photographers are killed or maimed by Bison. People really don't understand how dangerous they are. They assume because they are running free that they are tame and somehow the park management wouldnt let them run free if they posed a danger. Even though Yellowstone doesn't look like a wilderness area because of the cars and people and buildings it is. Bison keep the EMS personell busy and gives them something to do every summer.

There was an incident a couple years ago where an experienced photographer was gored 21 times after walking into Hayden Valley with a herd of Bison. He wasnt even that close either. If a Bison is having a bad day and doesn't like you around there's not much your going to do to stop it if he decides to charge. The distance between you and it is going to close real fast and by the time you grab your tripod and 600mm and start moving it's too late.

There are only 2 species besides man that can and would dare try to kill or confront a 1,000 pound grizzly bear in North America-a bison and a bull moose. A single Bison has been known to chase and kill a grizzly bear now and then when they try to go after the young in the herd. A Moose will chase a grizzly off as well.

I wasn't implying anything other than those that don't respect wildlife many times end up dead or in the hospital. You see a lot of stupid stuff at Yellowstone and the vicinity and people take it too lightly at times. The dumbest thing I ever personally saw was some dude that smacked a buffalo on the rear to get it to turn around for a photo. Luckily for the fool the buffalo ran and didn't turn around and tear him a new colon.

Then there are the people who will chase a herd of elk through a field with a bag of Wonder Bread and Cheezepuffs clutched firmly under their arms. I always stop when I see this and have my camera ready waiting for someone to get stomped by the harem bull. I see it enough that one of these times I will have some real interesting photos to bring home. Stupidty is often its own reward.[/font]

Mike from Ohio

Fury Cows
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2002, 01:08:44 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Anyone who still thinks buffalo are fury cows check out this Yellowstone video. This is why you dont want to get too close to Bison when photographing them. The bottom video is the one of the buffalo going bonkers at Old Faithfull.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/safetyvideos.htm[/font]

Dan Sroka

• http://www.danielsroka.com
Fury Cows
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2002, 08:14:04 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']The water buffalos you meet in Africa look quite a lot like furry cows as well, yet they are considered one of the most dangerous animals! I guess the cow family has a nasty mean streak running through it![/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up