Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon GPS: GP-E1 vs. GP-E2  (Read 3703 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Canon GPS: GP-E1 vs. GP-E2
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:23:19 pm »

I just recently sold my 1D4 and bought a 1Dx to compliment my 1Ds3. I've been thinking of buying a Canon GPS unit since I've had poor luck with several "independent" GPS units for geotagging. (As a note, I have a great geotagging app for my iPhone which I often use while scouting, but it really hammers the battery life, even though i use a Mophie Juice Pack.)

I was curious if anyone had experience with either of these Canon GPS units? The advantage of the GP-E1 is that it mounts directly into my 1Dx. But, most of my scenic work I do with my 1Ds3. (The slight edge in res is still noticeable in some shots -- but, maybe I'm just myopic from too much pixel peeping.  ;D) Literature doesn't directly state that the hotshow unit works with the 1Ds3, but since it can operate in "logging" mode, I would think it would still work.

Any thoughts?

Nemo

jrayupchurch

Re: Canon GPS: GP-E1 vs. GP-E2
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 06:32:36 pm »

I have a GP-E2 and use it on a 5D-III and it was of the main reason I purchase the camera up-dating from the 5D-II. It works perfectly not only giving location but also give the direction the picture was taken with a 1 degree resolution. The only problem is Lightroom doesn’t record the direction of the photograph. The information is in the metadata file and can be read with the Canon software that comes with the GPS unit. I now shoot Raw& very small JPG files. Using the JPG files to retrieve the direction of shot in the Canon software. It shows on a map the location of where all the shoots were taken and a rough direction the camera was pointing. I use the information of direction and locations with better electronic mapping software to get valley and mountain peaks names for my photos metadata. I shoot only stock and this saves me a lot of time and reduces mistakes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up