Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cropping issues / speed issues with 7.1  (Read 3088 times)

BobDavis

Cropping issues / speed issues with 7.1
« on: April 02, 2013, 12:46:06 pm »

Hello all,

I've been struggling with "unconstrained cropping".  I want to use the cropping tool to draw a box, but when I click on the cropping tool, it shows a shaded border around the picture indicating a crop that's already taken place.  Then I am forced to bring in the 4 sides to the crop I want, which is much slower than drawing a box.  I'm probably not explaining this very well.

And now, speed is becoming an issue.  For example, if I give a picture 1 Star then switch to the next picture, it might take 30 seconds.  This is probably self-inflicted as I created one session 4 years ago and have added tens of thousands of pictures.  Maybe it's time to create a new session?  Or try to figure out catalogs.....

Thanks,

Bob

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
Re: Cropping issues / speed issues with 7.1
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 08:04:30 pm »

Bob,

It sounds like you are struggling with a lens correction that's already been applied (as standard with C1 7). It creates the crop border you are seeing. To turn it off you will have to go to the lens correction tools and slide the Distortion slider from 100% to 0%.

Regarding speed, if you have more than 400 - 500 images in your capture folder you will see a slowdown - dependent on your hardware - but I like to create a new capture folder once I hit more than 500 images.

LDJ

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 05:51:20 am »

Hi Bob

In my experience, the issue you are having with the cropping tool occurs due for one/ both of the following reasons:

1. Under the 'Lens' tab you have a lens profile selected and the 'Hide Distorted Areas' check-box is not ticked

2. You have straightened your image, either manually or using the straighten tool

This 'issue' arises no matter whether you are cropping unconstrained or with a specified ratio.

I also find it frustrating that the crop tool in C1 Pro works in this way, particularly if I have a lot of images to straighten and crop - in fact, in this situation, I have taken to cropping first (so that I can draw on the crop) and then straightening after, but this means that I have to guess how much of the crop area will be affected when I carry out the straightening. At least with Lightroom, when you have straightened an image, you still have the option to select the Crop Tool and draw on a crop, rather than bringing in from the edges.

In fact, I raised this very issue with the guys at Phase when I was using C1 Pro 6, but nothing happened. You never know though, the long-term problem of the 'sticking' crop area was finally fixed in C1 7 Pro, so it might be worth you raising a support case with Phase (I have always found their support team very helpful).

Anyway, this probably doesn't help you much, as the issue is simply a function of the way that the software works but, hopefully, it gives you an explanation for it.

Best regards

LDJ

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:05:40 am »

Just realised that there is a third possible reason for your issue with the crop tool: using any of the perspective correction tools will also mean that you are not able to 'draw' on a crop, and will have to pull in the sides.

Kind regards

BobDavis

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:46:43 am »

Thank you all for the excellent and most helpful replies.  I now understand how the lens correction affects cropping and I've learned that 50,000 images in one session isn't working out.  Now I will have to learn if there's a way to break a session into smaller sessions or catalogs.

Bob

Pages: [1]   Go Up