Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fix for viewfinder dynamic range: why I hate Electronic Finders  (Read 2787 times)

Jeff_Kotowski

It seems to me that if the dynamic range were compressed before display to the EVF it could be made to look more-or-less correct. Lighten the darks, and darken the lights? This could be done in firmware.

TEBnewyork

Re: Fix for viewfinder dynamic range: why I hate Electronic Finders
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:26:50 pm »

I had the NEX7 for a while and when it came out the viewfinder was thought of as best in class. I always felt like it had too much contrast in comparison to the EVFs on M4/3 cameras from Panasonic and Olympus.

That being said, the optical viewfinders of both the Fuji X-Pro1 and X100s with the option of EVF are a much more pleasing way to shoot.

My NEX7 was traded in for the X-Pro1 and I haven't looked back. I still own the Olympus OMD for situations where we just don't have the right lenses from Fuji.

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 10:36:55 pm »

I love using my modest Olympus Pen EPL-1 with the EVF accessory. I can see the histogram while composing a picture. To me, that's priceless.

Petrus

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 04:13:27 am »

I have both X-Pro1 and X-E1, and I am trading in the X-E1 for a X100s. Part of the reason is the EVF only in X-E1. Framing is accurate, but there is lag and the picture is not real.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 07:45:57 am »

I love the viewfinder on my Canon 1ds and the immediacy it seems to give to the subjects, mainly people, I photograph.

And yet, while starting to shoot a lot of video I have needed to use the EVF's on my Panasonic GH2 cameras.  The more I shoot with them the more my brain seems to appreciate the 'help' given by the EVF.  Particularly in low light when using a manual focus lens.  The ability to click into enlarge mode, focus, then pop back out again is invaluable.  Seeing an amplified image in low light is very useful too.  At one wedding I was shooting last year I suddenly realised that my brain was more in tune with the EVF, and when I switched back to the Canon I was having to remember to mentally re-adjust.  For instance the effects of using exposure compensation are shown on an EVF, whereas on the Canon I was having to remind myself they were not, and remember to apply the compensation (which is usually instinctive).  It's amazing how quickly the mind will get used to a new way of working.

Jim

David S

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 08:37:01 am »

EVF or OVF or a combo (Fuji) are choices made on the basis of expectations, wants and needs. Sorting out the differences is the hard part.

I find myself liking the EVF more and more for the info provided and, on some models, a moderately accurate assessment of the exposure. I love the Fuji x100 viewfinder but have surprised myself by using the EVF more than the OVF part.

Having both available will eventually lead me to buy the next Fuji Pro model.

Dave S

stevesanacore

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 11:31:10 am »

I've yet to live with a still camera with only an EVF but the the OMD and GH3 seemed very good. When i'm shooting video with an external monitor on my Canon 5D or Panasonic video camera, I don't remember having a problem with contrast like Michael mentions with his NEX 7. Maybe Sony needs to upgrade the OVF - being able to see detail in the shadows is essential for sure.
We don't know what we don't know.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 12:18:51 pm »

I had a Panasonic GF-1, it's EVF was pretty bad, but it was the only game in town then. I sold it and now have an OMD. It's finder is significantly better, but still a long way from perfect or even close to a decent optical finder like that on my D800E. But, since the world seems to be gravitating toward smaller cameras, except for occasional hybrids like the Fuji's, it appears to be the way to go. I find it surprising that a camera with such excellent image quality as the DP Merrills seem to have (I've not used one but have read Lloyd Chambers ecstatic reviews), have neither an optical nor an electronic finder, as does the Sony RX-1 (without significant added expense to an already expensive camera). What I long for the the lovely expanse of ground glass I had with my 4x5, now sadly languishing, unused in a closet.
Eric
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:49:19 pm by brodyer »

thierrylegros396

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 12:55:43 pm »

You are right, have you tried to lower contrast of the JPG when shooting RAW+JPG ?!

have a look here http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=76730.0

Thierry

mgear

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 05:52:57 pm »

I've actually never paid attention to this when looking through an EVF. Thanks man!

Anyways, does your camera have any screen settings? They should go over to the EVF too.

If not, just keep in mind that your picture probably won't look like that.

Glenn NK

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 07:22:20 pm »

I've yet to live with a still camera with only an EVF but the the OMD and GH3 seemed very good. When i'm shooting video with an external monitor on my Canon 5D or Panasonic video camera, I don't remember having a problem with contrast like Michael mentions with his NEX 7. Maybe Sony needs to upgrade the OVF - being able to see detail in the shadows is essential for sure.

By OMD, do you mean the Olympus E-M5?   I played around a bit with one in the shop yesterday and it seemed OK, but that's not a good field test by any means.

I'm interesting in the opinions of others.

On a side note, I looked very closely at the RAW results on DPP (Item 21), comparing similar cameras, and even my 5DII, and I'm surprised/impressed with its performance.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/21

Glenn

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:30:11 pm by Glenn NK »
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

AFairley

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 08:57:19 pm »

I have the Olympus E-M5 aka OM-D, and its dynamic range is indeed very impressive.  I'm shooting with the D800E also, and while it has a DR advantage over the Oly, it is not that striking since the Oly could already handle most of what I ran up against.  IMO, the weak point of the m4/3 system right now is the lenses, which tend to suffer from lackluster corner performance and CA, with the exception of some of the tele primes.  There is still nothing out there at the level of the top Canon or Nikon glass, or the Oly 4/3 SHG glass, for that matter (which admittedly costs about twice as much).  I got used to the Oly EVF pretty quickly, though the shadows tend to block up.

CptZar

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 09:02:24 am »

I think it depends on what you want. On a tripod with a TS lens attached, some Tilt which may be applied with focus peaking and manual focus, an EVF is quite comfortable to work with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up