Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Stolen Moment  (Read 1238 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
A Stolen Moment
« on: March 22, 2013, 01:44:13 am »

Whether deliberately as I've suggested for my reasoning, or quite by accident that we chance upon an image, it is always somewhat voyeuristic if this occurs outside our own normal environs. We literally steal a moment of someone else's existance strictly for our own pleasure. We become lookers into windows, viewers of reflections, and we often play one against the other - devising, perhaps deriding one singular viewpoint for one split second - a memory cell of sorts. Sometimes, when all the elements of the world fall into place, we get an opportunity as Andy showed earlier, or that Russ shows frequently in making art from the obvious. While I appreciate this, and often strive to make such a shot myself, I also recognize the art is in the seeing and not necessarily in a special alignment of the stars; it is far more often a stolen moment, a chance observation.

I guess what most of you didn't get, sans David, was this was such a moment, purely a voyueristic statement.

A revision:

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: A Stolen Moment
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 06:53:04 am »

Chris

I think on balance I don't really like your picture.  But it did make me look for quite a long time trying to work out what I was seeing (and I'm still not sure).  However it has given me an idea for a little project of my own, so in that respect it has been quite inspirational!  I hasten to add my idea does not resemble your picture, it just set my mind off on a tangent.  Even though I don't really like it, I am intrigued to know if you are doing more similar, because I would be interested in seeing them too.  Now there is a danger I could get to like it.

Jim

Ah - now I see that you have a second post with the same picture - which is slightly confusing, but at least I now understand what you are up to.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:56:09 am by Jim Pascoe »

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 09:24:39 am »

Yes, I have quite a few in the making, and yes, there is a method to the madness, and when I see works of another which inspire me to emulates some idea within their idea, I most certainly use it and would expect you to as well.

This shot is so little about image and so much more about moment. This is going to take some serious work, not that it hasn't, I just haven't done my job in conveying the moment...yet.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

amolitor

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 10:46:25 am »

The image overall seems soft, if this perhaps part of your conception?

I wonder if adding a trifle of faked motion blur, to suggest that the viewer is simply passing by the window, glancing in, might express your concept more clearly? Am I on the right track here?

I'm still stuck on "why this window, shot from this angle, rather than any other window from any other angle? Why did he press the shutter NOW?" though, which might be missing the point?

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 03:39:48 pm »

This re-do has the best of both the original and the B/W, I think. Not a critique, just an opinion.

nemo295

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 03:14:56 pm »

I like how you've processed this shot. The colors and contrast are very nice. There's just nothing going on in the scene that holds my interest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up