Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Green light for complete Arca Swiss RL3Di  (Read 20068 times)

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
Green light for complete Arca Swiss RL3Di
« on: March 21, 2013, 01:49:27 pm »

Well. I've decided to go all Arca Swiss after 4 years with my beloved Cambo Digitar Wide DS.
I'm getting the
RL3Di camera
the viewfinder,
the new Rodenstock 90mm (have to wait a good 4 months :'()
they are modifying my Schneider 28mm, 35mm and 47mm from the Cambo mount
the e cloud module
the Cube Tripod Head
a Mono rail for 360 degree panoramics.
Other bits and pieces.
I have to get a 72mm or 90mm for the 5 x 4 inch back
Looking forward to trying out some 5 x 4 inch as well as digital. The RM3Di fell a wee bit short on it's movements with my digital back. Can't wait to take advantage of the tilt on the camera.
Just sent my 3 lenses to Arca Swiss to get get modified from the Cambo mount plus I sent my H3D 39 back to get calibrated for my Arca Swiss for an exact match.

I asked Martin to customize the camera for me. He's adding bar levels. I hate the one on the RM3Di. Also he is adding movement in increments of mm for more prices movements. (important for 4 movement image stitches for example)

Heading over probably next friday to pick it up and to run through the entire system. Need to get my head around the focus and iCloud and (throw away years of instinctively knowing where to focus using a standard focus scale  ;D )

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:51:59 pm by Enda Cavanagh »

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Re: Green light for complete Arca Swiss RL3Di
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 12:32:02 am »

Sounds awesome, let us know how it goes, I've been very interested to see some first hand experiences with the RL3Di, the ability to take some 4x5 film pictures seems pretty cool...
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 02:43:35 pm »

Ya Brian. Can't wait to get working with it. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 02:47:55 pm »

Christmas was either really early or really late!

Congrats either way!

;D

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 03:04:55 pm »

Congratulations, on the new camera.   When you see Martin, pass on many others would prefer the bar levels also. 

You didn't mention the grip extension, however you might want to look at that also, allows for a much great control/security when hold the camera and back.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 03:11:50 pm »

Thanks Paul. Will do. Hopefully there won't be too many things I'm tempted to get when I go over  :D

buckshot

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 03:49:52 pm »

Good stuff - quite some set up - would be interesting to hear about your experiences with the RL3Di, not much user feedback on that (the larger) model to be had on the old interweb.

For anyone else out there contemplating such a move, how long did Arca say it would take to remount your lenses - is this something that they do quite quickly or is it a long turnaround? (since Arca have a bit of a reputation for taking an age to do most things). Did you just FedEx them, or send them back via a dealer (is there an Arca dealer in Ireland?)

Cheers,

Jim
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:51:50 pm by buckshot »

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 04:08:16 pm »

Hi Jim
No dealer in Ireland unfortunately. I sent the lenses direct to Arca Swiss with UPS (plus back for exact calibration) on thursday I think. Martin will probably have the lenses on tuesday. He said he would need 2 days to modify the lenses and calibrated the camera to the back. I can collect the camera on friday!! Pretty quick turnaround I would say.

johnasmith

• johnsmithphotography.net
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 11:01:46 pm »

Hi from John Smith I spend a year of trying to decide which tec camera to buy and reading what
other people were saying good and bad about all of the tec cameras. I went with the Rl3Di as you have.
focus is very critical in digital with the arca you have the big focus ring to work with very fine focusing. I thought
about the linhof tecLhno but whent with arca because of that focus ring.For hyper focus all I have to do is look at
hyper focus card I have figured out and dial in the focus number like for my 43xl sc dial at 8 and 21 ft to inf is n focus.Also
I use a Leupold RX-1000 for finding distance.this is a great unit for distance finding 6x sighting finder and very bright red
led cross hairs low light bright light reads up to 3000ft which is over kill,also it gives you the angle of degree
reading when your tilting. If you have not shot with the digital lens from sc,or rodos you are for treat in sharpness.
John A.Smith
Hendersonville, NC
johnsmithphotography.net

buckshot

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 09:50:12 am »

Hi Jim
No dealer in Ireland unfortunately. I sent the lenses direct to Arca Swiss with UPS (plus back for exact calibration) on thursday I think. Martin will probably have the lenses on tuesday. He said he would need 2 days to modify the lenses and calibrated the camera to the back. I can collect the camera on friday!! Pretty quick turnaround I would say.

Fair play to Arca - that's a pretty impressive turnaround.

Harold Clark

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 05:50:56 pm »

Well. I've decided to go all Arca Swiss after 4 years with my beloved Cambo Digitar Wide DS.
I'm getting the
RL3Di camera
the viewfinder,
the new Rodenstock 90mm (have to wait a good 4 months :'()
they are modifying my Schneider 28mm, 35mm and 47mm from the Cambo mount
the e cloud module
the Cube Tripod Head
a Mono rail for 360 degree panoramics.
Other bits and pieces.
I have to get a 72mm or 90mm for the 5 x 4 inch back
Looking forward to trying out some 5 x 4 inch as well as digital. The RM3Di fell a wee bit short on it's movements with my digital back. Can't wait to take advantage of the tilt on the camera.
Just sent my 3 lenses to Arca Swiss to get get modified from the Cambo mount plus I sent my H3D 39 back to get calibrated for my Arca Swiss for an exact match.

I asked Martin to customize the camera for me. He's adding bar levels. I hate the one on the RM3Di. Also he is adding movement in increments of mm for more prices movements. (important for 4 movement image stitches for example)

Heading over probably next friday to pick it up and to run through the entire system. Need to get my head around the focus and iCloud and (throw away years of instinctively knowing where to focus using a standard focus scale  ;D )

I am sure you will be very pleased with the Arca, I rented a RM3 and IQ180 for a shoot where we needed higher resolution than my Canons could provide. I loved the feel of precision, and the focus is deadly accurate once calibrated.
I used the sliding back for viewing, are you getting one? It did make the whole package somewhat bulkier. If you are used to the Cambo you are no doubt accustomed to working without this. Please let us know your impressions once you have put it through it's paces

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 05:54:36 pm »

Hi Harold
No I'm definitely not going for the sliding back. As you say I'm used to the Cambo and I much prefer the viewfinder for guestimating the composition and than viewing the image it on the lcd. It would not suit my workflow. Looking forward to getting my hands on the e module though

Harold Clark

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 06:01:37 pm »

Hi Harold
No I'm definitely not going for the sliding back. As you say I'm used to the Cambo and I much prefer the viewfinder for guestimating the composition and than viewing the image it on the lcd. It would not suit my workflow. Looking forward to getting my hands on the e module though

You will find the Arca viewfinder much more accurate than the Cambo too, it was part of the kit I had and I quite liked it. This is the shot I did, a very large mural for a condo developer.

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 06:04:55 pm »

The mask on the viewfinder seems like a great idea. Not sure how it will work when trying to visualize panoramics because I will only be able to see what a single image looks like. In affect what makes the viewfinder so accurate will at times hamper me.

gigdagefg

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 09:19:11 pm »

I am a huge fan of the Arca Swiss rm3di, but the viewfinder is almost useless
Stanley

julienlanoo

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 04:20:29 am »

The Cloud is Realy easy to use, once you get it callibrated correctly ( as it comes un calibrated) ..

You have to calibrate it for your eyes..
And also, the viewfinder of the Cloud is so clear you have to "adapt" or get used to the way of working, as "sharp" doesn't mean "Tack sharp", always have to Try 2 times to get exact, as it's so precise you can jump 2 - 3 meters by half a milimeter turn..

I als remarked i have to start always at infinity and go back to sharpness to get the " sharpest" measurement ...

but any how, i now can use F5.6 and be shure i am tack-sharp where i want to   

ltucker

• lonnatucker.com
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 12:00:20 pm »

I am a huge fan of the Arca Swiss rm3di, but the viewfinder is almost useless
Stanley

You need some assistance then Stanley, as I find the viewfinder very accurate for composing a shot for focal length selection, then determining how much rise/fall and shift is required. I prefer that to guessing as I am fussy about composition, especially leading lines into the corners of the frame and such. Also, use of the viewfinder can speed your set up time.

If there is something inaccurate with your viewfinder, then I'd call your dealer for some support.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:49:03 pm by ltucker »

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 12:15:37 pm »

You need some assistance then Stanley, as I find it very the viewfinder very accurate for composing a shot for focal length selection, then determining how much rise/fall and shift is required. I prefer that to guessing as I am fussy about composition, especially leading lines into the corners of the frame and such. Also, use of the viewfinder can speed your set up time.

If there is something inaccurate with your viewfinder, then I'd call your dealer for some support.

How do you use it to compose panoramic shots when you can't see the full image circle. That's my worry. The Cambo viewfinder is not as good but you can see the full image circle and than guestimate the amount of movement needed as a starting point. I just think the main plus about the Arca Swiss viewfinder will be it's biggest drawback when shooting panos

ltucker

• lonnatucker.com
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 01:11:48 pm »

How do you use it to compose panoramic shots when you can't see the full image circle. That's my worry. The Cambo viewfinder is not as good but you can see the full image circle and than guestimate the amount of movement needed as a starting point. I just think the main plus about the Arca Swiss viewfinder will be it's biggest drawback when shooting panos

When I was learning to shoot 4"X10" film panoramics, I'd carry a little cardboard mask with the 4X10 ratio cutout. Moving it away from the eye was a representation of longer focal lengths, moving it closer to the eye simulated normal focal lengths, and up to the eye, wide angle. With experience it became easy to use and I'd know what to select - 450mm, 300mm, 210mm, etc.

Now working panoramics digitally, I'll choose focal length based on the vertical aspect I need to capture. The Variofinder can be handheld for making focal length and composition decisions (very useful off camera for technical scouting days).

I begin with the center frame and make any minor adjustments to fine tune. After I'm happy with the center, I'll capture the left and right by shifting each direction. I usually shoot 3 frame panoramics so I have ample overlap. If I'm working with fast moving clouds in a scene, and a focal length longer then 47mm, 2 frames are enough overlap (one shifted all the way left and one all the way to the right) I'm sure Enda knows this part, but for anyone new to panoramic stitching, the overlap needed is dependent on your DB sensor size, and the amount of movement your lens can handle. For landscape and architectural subjects, I almost always use either rise or fall plus shift to make panoramics. The all in plane movements, all made from the rear of the Arca Rm3di make stitching almost error free. I use the reposition method in Photomerge Photoshop CS6 (works great in PS4 and PS5 too).

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 01:19:19 pm »

Hi there
Thanks for the info. I have a lot of experience with panos but my point is how do you use the variofinder to compose a panoramic when you only see what a single image looks like. The mask is in the way. This in affect hinders you from properly assessing what is possible with the given lens without having to move the mask around while looking through the viewfinder. Is that easy to do if so than it should be ok. 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up