Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which polarizer?  (Read 1593 times)

chandsa

Which polarizer?
« on: March 10, 2013, 11:55:10 pm »

Hey folks,

I'm in the market to purchase a polarizing filter and have been reading up on the following:

Singh Ray LB Warming Polarizer
Singh Ray LB Neutral Polarizer
B+W XS-Pro MrC Nano Circular Polarizer - What I like about this one is it has front threads, which means I can add another filter in front without losing the polarization effect. If anyone has used this and would be willing to comment on the pros and cons that would be fantastic!

Amongst the 3 choices, which one would you choose? I will greatly appreciate any insights you might have to offer. I primarily shoot landscapes, nature and quite a bit of waterfalls.

Cheers!

francois

Re: Which polarizer?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 04:05:36 am »

Hey folks,

I'm in the market to purchase a polarizing filter and have been reading up on the following:

Singh Ray LB Warming Polarizer
Singh Ray LB Neutral Polarizer
B+W XS-Pro MrC Nano Circular Polarizer - What I like about this one is it has front threads, which means I can add another filter in front without losing the polarization effect. If anyone has used this and would be willing to comment on the pros and cons that would be fantastic!

Amongst the 3 choices, which one would you choose? I will greatly appreciate any insights you might have to offer. I primarily shoot landscapes, nature and quite a bit of waterfalls.

Cheers!

I'm using a Singh-Ray Neutral. I had a warming Singh-Ray polarizer and sold it and kept the neutral filter. I'm satisfied with it, no complaint. I can't say anything on the B+W filter.
Francois

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:29:48 pm »

I have both Singh-Rays that you mention and prefer the warm version. You can't go wrong with Singh-Ray. Beware of stacking filters as you will generally increase vignetting. That is why the "thin" versions of many filters do not have front threads. As a landscape shooter, you may also want to consider the Singh-Ray Vari-ND Duo filter. Has a built in polarizer, so no need to stack. Absolutely indespensible for slowing down the shutter when shooting water. Singh-Ray filters are very pricey, but totally worth the cost.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 01:04:54 pm »

Depending on your camera brand/model, it may require the use of a circular polarizer (these do not affect the metering/focusing mechanisms in the mirror box).

I've been through a few brands (Canon, Hoya, Tiffen, Cokin) of polarizers and have settled on B+W Kaesemann MRC circular polarizers.
~ CB
Pages: [1]   Go Up