Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sharing photos on the net  (Read 57663 times)

bwana

sharing photos on the net
« on: March 10, 2013, 04:45:29 pm »

I would like to upload a bunch of photographs to the cloud. For argument's sake, let's say I put up a thousand photos ranging in size from 500kb to 5 meg.

I would like to share subsets of this collection with various groups and individuals.
For example, I would like to select all of john's pix and send him a link to that collection. I would also like to select all of my ski club's pix and send them a link to that collection Some of these pix might also include john.

I would like to present the different collections in different formats. Let's say I would like john's collection to be a collage of all his pix on one page. I might light like the ski club collection to appear as a slide show of individual pix on a dark grey background.

Is there a service that will do this? Easily?

syncrasy

Re: sharing photos on the net
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:27:58 pm »

First things first (since you posted this question to the DAM forum)...

Do you use a DAM to organize/tag your images on your computer? If so, which DAM? If not, how do you currently organize/tag your images?

-- Mark

bwana

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:30:38 pm »

DAM=lightroom

syncrasy

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 11:55:41 pm »

I'm not a Lightroom user, so this might be like the blind leading the blind. You don't say what you've tried already, so if you want more informed help, you might have to say more about what you already know and/or tried and what you are willing to pay for and/or learn to achieve your goals.

More questions...

Are you familiar with creating web galleries in Lightroom?
Have you researched photo hosting sites (e.g. Adobe Creative Cloud, SmugMug, Picasa/Google +, etc.) and how they can be used with Lightroom?
(For example, see SmugMug: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93281-how-do-i-upload-from-lightroom-)
Alternately, do you own your own web domain for hosting web sites, and are you familiar/comfortable with coding your own HTML?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:06:59 am by syncrasy »
-- Mark

bwana

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 07:15:43 am »

Tnx. I was hoping for a web app that could do this so I could share photo subsets on the go (from pc, Mac, android, iPhone) that do not have lr installed. Seems like no one really wants this so it doesn't exist.! Tnx for your help.

syncrasy

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 09:10:40 am »

Are you sure it doesn't exist? What about Zenfolio?
-- Mark

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 09:27:54 am »

Any of the online photo services can do this. I have been using Photoshelter for several years. I keep many photos in my account, and share subsets with different groups. These galleries may be wide open, or password protected, or require a login. My account is at kenbennettphoto.com, but all you can view is my portfolio. (Which is out of date. Sigh.) This is the lowest cost version -- Photoshelter offers several plans, and the higher end plans offer more custom options for the look and feel of the page.

500px might work for this, too.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

bwana

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 05:01:17 pm »

ok, so i decided to use google docs to create a presentation. The images are on google drive. Google docs simply references the images so any number of templates are possible. For example, here are two different 'galleries' made in google docs.

Boston

Boston in Blue

Of course you cant sell the images, it's just a way to present subsets of your images with a circle of friends. The same way that 500pix does with sets, or smugmug does with smart sets.

Except of course, it's free.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:05:31 pm by bwana »

syncrasy

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 06:34:07 pm »

Very interesting. It seems you found what you were looking for. Other than the lack of e-commerce, is there anything about this solution that doesn't meet your needs?
-- Mark

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 09:17:00 am »

If you're still looking (and I say due to the inefficiency of doing this via Google a Docs), you really should try Flickr or SmugMug or some other photo site that would allow to create galleries of images. The same image can be put  in different galleries or sets or collections just by dragging and dropping.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

stever

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 12:15:58 am »

I just opened a Flickr account to do this and find that it is not obvious how specifically designate groups of photos available to specific individuals. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up