• site
cove
« on: March 08, 2013, 02:59:17 pm »

Thoughts?

Jeremy

sdwilsonsct

Re: cove
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 03:17:40 pm »

Lovely shapes, appealing colours, good sky and mysterious horizon.

The boat, not so much my cup of tea. Like having a truck in a desert landscape.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 03:42:45 pm »

Lovely shapes, appealing colours, good sky and mysterious horizon.

The boat, not so much my cup of tea. Like having a truck in a desert landscape.
I agree, except the boat is small enough that it doesn't bother me (too small to see the FedEx logo.   :D )
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 05:32:58 am »

I agree, except the boat is small enough that it doesn't bother me (too small to see the FedEx logo.   :D )

Lovely image. The boat is not too bad, probably unless this photo is printer very big. I like the pink flowers in the bottom right corner.

Eric,
As for the missing FedEx logo, in Venice, you'll see small motorboats with FedEx, UPS and DHL logos…  :)
Francois

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 05:51:47 am »

It looks like a typical Mallorcan coastal (northern) image, except that the boat looks stuck in: doesn't look real, either because of scale, or because it gives the impression of being seen from a different angle. It might simply have been listing along with the swell.

I'd clone it out, and a logo in.

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 09:46:08 am »

After extended deliberation and argument with myself I'm afraid I have to agree, even though I hate to see the hand of man disappear from this beautiful cove.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 04:08:50 pm »

Rob, it's a straight shot of an inlet on the north-western coast of Ibiza, so you're not far off. The boat was sitting there, looking just as it does.

Et tu, Russ?

I see what you're getting at, though.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 05:52:55 pm »

Rob, it's a straight shot of an inlet on the north-western coast of Ibiza, so you're not far off. The boat was sitting there, looking just as it does.

Et tu, Russ?

I see what you're getting at, though.

Jeremy

Hi,

Glad to see my geology wasn't quite off the map! Nice island, Ibiza, if a bit tight.

http://www.chicobialas.com

This guy lives there - I like his stuff for its basic energy - if that's not too curatorial to be credible. As for Monica B...I wish!

;-)

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 04:42:19 am »

Glad to see my geology wasn't quite off the map! Nice island, Ibiza, if a bit tight.

http://www.chicobialas.com

This guy lives there - I like his stuff for its basic energy - if that's not too curatorial to be credible. As for Monica B...I wish!

I have to confess that I disliked Ibiza more than almost anywhere I've visited. I found the scenery generally to be at best uninteresting (that cove, taken from my hotel balcony, was by far the most attractive vista I saw) and more commonly downright ugly. The whole island seemed to be geared solely to extracting as much money as possible for the most mundane things. The food was second rate and quite ludicrously expensive, with prices above what one might expect to pay for superb cooking in a metropolis such as London, drink was the same and loud music seemed inescapable.

The only bright spot was the prevalence of some very attractive girls, but discretion with the camera seemed wise: the men with them appeared a good deal larger than I am. Older, too, and I suspect wealthier.

I note that Chico Bialas doesn't have a lot of landscapes on his site.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 06:19:40 am »

I have to confess that I disliked Ibiza more than almost anywhere I've visited. I found the scenery generally to be at best uninteresting (that cove, taken from my hotel balcony, was by far the most attractive vista I saw) and more commonly downright ugly. The whole island seemed to be geared solely to extracting as much money as possible for the most mundane things. The food was second rate and quite ludicrously expensive, with prices above what one might expect to pay for superb cooking in a metropolis such as London, drink was the same and loud music seemed inescapable.

The only bright spot was the prevalence of some very attractive girls, but discretion with the camera seemed wise: the men with them appeared a good deal larger than I am. Older, too, and I suspect wealthier.

I note that Chico Bialas doesn't have a lot of landscapes on his site.
Jeremy

I take your point!

But, no, I see him (Bialas) as a fashion photographer above everything else; I have very litlle landscape either – it’s requires a different set of sensitivites, I think. What does appeal to me in his non-model work, is the gritty building stuff – the slight menace of dark religious symbolism he catches.

Ibiza is partyville, gaysville, drugsville and pretty much anything else at which many young people like to point their money and time. Though it’s a short hop away, I saw more of it before I came to live next door than in the thirty-one years since. It does/did boast a couple of very expensive boutique hotels and always pretty women, but it’s just physically too tight a pace for living: there’s nowhere to go if you want to stretch yourself for the day. Not to be too unkind about it, you tend to run into the very people you’d rather not meet in your own home town. Also, the medical services aren’t that great: when my wife was undergoing radiotherapy in Palma, five days a week for five weeks or more, a woman was there everyday with similar problems and she had to fly in from Ibiza ever single morning…

Food: we shot sets of hotels for several different holiday companes there; the hotel food was so bad that my wife refused to eat in them, even for breakfast: that meant unreasonably early starts and the gentle blowing of much of the profit! 

If you are youngish, rich enough to live high and, better, have a boat, it’s worth a couple of weeks! But even then, the competition’s all around.

;-)

Rob C

Pages: [1]   Go Up