Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital D  (Read 4513 times)

Digital D

Digital D
« on: November 14, 2002, 01:16:10 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Sorry I had the subject and name mixed up in the post above and hit post prematurely while trying to back out...

I was going to say...

Too many photographers are concerned with trying to emulate or follow someone. Be yourself, express yourself. You dont have to follow someone to create images that are pleasing to you and others. For example I enjoy some of Mr Recihmans articles and have gained advice by reading but I am not a follower of Michael Reichmann anymore than I am a follower of anyone else. I follow my own visions.

You will always find someone who likes as well as dislikes your work. There never is a consensus on what a good photograph is. It is completely and entirely subjective. There are no rules as far as I am concerned. Whatever works for you sets the rules.  Be yourself.[/font]

An amateur who doesnt like Ansel

Digital D
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2002, 12:52:11 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Let me first say I am an amateur photographer and photography is not my source of income but I enjoy it immensely. I get ragged on a lot by associates in the photo world when discussing the subject of Ansel Adams. This usually happens when I state I never cared for his work really and they may be brilliant images to some but to me many of his images look plain and overprocessed.

People misunderstand me when I say this. I am not saying I could do better. But they think it is arrogant of me and give me a 'how dare you as a rankish amaetur hold such a view' type attitude.

I'm sorry but I just don't find the work appealing to me personally. Sure they look brilliantly executed and technically correct but I just never cared for them. There are too many Yosemite photographs to begin with just like there are too many Grand teton photographs. In fact sometimes I think if I see another shot of the Grand Tetons or Half Dome in Yosemite I am going to scream. Enough already. Shoot something new. Yosemite has been shot ad naseum, ad infinitum. How many ways can you possibly shoot half dome before it gets boring and needlessly redundant?

Anyways, sorry for ranting.[/font]

Mike

Digital D
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2002, 05:54:04 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']If thats the way you see it then that is your opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinions. Why worry what anyone says? We all may not aggree but that is life. Everyone has their own tastes.

I aggree with your second point about photography in general though. I think too many people look at it as some sort of competition where one is always trying to reach a level that has been set by someone else and they feel they must attain this level if they want to be successfull. I think there are all kinds of motivations in the field of photography. Some are in it just for the joy of the hobby. Others are looking for noteriety or income. Some are trying to impress others or gain a status etc. To each his own I guess.[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up