Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HTML5  (Read 11138 times)

petermarrek

HTML5
« on: March 05, 2013, 09:42:44 am »

Has anyone created a website using HTML5, promises of easy use for a relative dummy like me. If so what template/software did you use? Peter

MarkM

• Alaska Photographer Mark Meyer
Re: HTML5
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 03:17:56 pm »

Peter,

I've started incorporating HTML5 into my website, mostly out of curiosity. I didn't do much more than add some of the semantic tags on my blog site (http://www.photo-mark.com/notes/). There's really nothing magical about it—it's still HTML but has some additional elements and APIs. I do the site myself—it's built on top of the Django framework—but that has nothing to do with HTML5.

If you are concerned at all about supporting older browsers — especially IE 8 — you have to jump through some hoops to ensure your site works with the newer markup. There are some tools like modernizr that can help behind the scenes.

I think you really need ask what you hope to gain that you can't already do with old-fashioned html/css. It's easy to get caught up in the buzzwords and excitement of new technology and end up searching for problems you don't really have just so you can use the new tools.

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 12:08:21 pm »

Has anyone created a website using HTML5,
I have.
promises of easy use for a relative dummy like me.
No difference really, it's neither easier nor harder. What are you hoping to achieve with HTML5?
If so what template/software did you use? Peter
I hard-coded it in HTML5, but you can easily use Dreamweaver, which, due to the creative cloud, is no longer prohibitive price-wise.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 03:46:22 am »

You'll find some good Adobe TV videos on HTML 5.   
It is a very good thing and works well for most modern browsers as it avoids the tangle of plug-ins and can draw objects in ways that previous levels could not.

The integration implementation however is a pain in the ass. You have to code exceptions for every browser none work with the same tags. Incredible after all these years and this still goes on.

You also then need to make them compatible with older browsers too, yet that shouldn't pose too many problems, you'll just loose the effects.

SZRitter

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 10:17:44 am »

You'll find some good Adobe TV videos on HTML 5.   
It is a very good thing and works well for most modern browsers as it avoids the tangle of plug-ins and can draw objects in ways that previous levels could not.

The integration implementation however is a pain in the ass. You have to code exceptions for every browser none work with the same tags. Incredible after all these years and this still goes on.

You also then need to make them compatible with older browsers too, yet that shouldn't pose too many problems, you'll just loose the effects.

Well, it isn't a standard yet, so there is no reason why it's features would be nailed down 100% yet. That said, the bulk of your standard use things are either implemented mostly the same, or can be gracefully degraded.

I have started building all the websites I work on in HTML5. It's a bit confusing getting the semantics (Aside vs Section vs Article as an example), but 99% the same as HTML 4 coding. There are a few new features, but those only come into play if you are taking advantage of them (offline storage, location, etc.).

KAHA

• www.davidpoata.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 06:29:11 pm »

Has anyone created a website using HTML5, promises of easy use for a relative dummy like me. If so what template/software did you use? Peter

My website is coded in HTML5 and is tablet & smartphone compatible. I used 4ormat.com
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 06:36:59 pm by KAHA »

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 10:26:43 am »

I built my site using Softpress Freeway but it is only for macs.   

Jeff Conley

• http://www.jeffreyconley.com
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 02:09:36 pm »

I recently re-built my site using HTML5 (through www.foliolink.com). They have a great variety of templates and themes and offer great customer/ technical support. I found their themes to have a nice aesthetic simplicity while retaining powerful functionality. If you are interested, the link to my site is below...

Good luck to you!
Jeffrey Conley
www.jeffreyconley.com

MarkM

• Alaska Photographer Mark Meyer
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 02:25:17 pm »

Jeff, your site looks great, but it's not html 5. The home page and galleries are XHTML 1.0 Transitional, the information pages are HTML 4.0.1 Transitional. You just need to look at the doctype declarations. Not sure why foliolink is advertising HTML5 sites when none of their examples are HTML5.

Maybe there's room for interpretation, but I'm not sure how.

projectsbin

• Projects Bin
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 05:10:11 pm »

You could consider a CMS, like Koken (beta). Pretty brilliant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up