Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One IQ260, IQ280, and Achromatic - 11 Things to Know  (Read 107135 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Phase One IQ260, IQ280, and Achromatic - 11 Things to Know
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2013, 09:57:36 am »

Does the wifi to ipad send a jpeg or full raw file?

To be a technical nit-pick I wouldn't call it a "JPG".

But Biggs is right, the IQ2 is doing all the math/decoding and sending it in real time to the iPad. So when you zoom to 100% on the iPad the IQ2 will decode just that part of the file and send it to the iPad. This makes it really fast compared to any solution where you have to transmit the entire file. You can zoom to 100% after capture, even on an 80mp file.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:18:19 am by Doug Peterson »

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2013, 09:59:05 am »

This is amazing technology, and I am jones-ing for long exposures as well as the review capabilities.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

TMARK

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2013, 10:39:36 am »

Samples from Acromatic!

Thanks!

Doug Peterson

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2013, 11:34:54 am »

Ok, then I guess similar to Hasselblad.

Hasselblad (and Phase One before this announcement) requires a computer between the digital back and the iPad/iPhone/iPodTouch. In other words you must be tethered, and the computer is the device broadcasting to the iPad/iPhone/iPodTouch device.

This announcement is for the IQ2 which can broadcast directly from the digital back to the iPad/iPhone/iPodTouch.

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2013, 12:24:17 pm »

This announcement is for the IQ2 which can broadcast directly from the digital back to the iPad/iPhone/iPodTouch.

At last, we have the equivalent functionality to what the Bluetooth-equipped Aptus backs gave us 10 years ago!
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Doug Peterson

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2013, 12:42:02 pm »

Yes, the Aptus+iPaq was WAY ahead of it's time.

But working over bluetooth it was very slow and the iPaq itself left a lot to be desired regarding battery life, interface, responsiveness, boot up speed etc.

TMARK

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2013, 01:59:07 pm »

Yes, the Aptus+iPaq was WAY ahead of it's time.

But working over bluetooth it was very slow and the iPaq itself left a lot to be desired regarding battery life, interface, responsiveness, boot up speed etc.

I rented a Leaf back from Fotocare once and they handed me the iPaq.  I played within for a night and thought to myself:  "One day this will be amazing.  But not now."  That day seems to have arrived.

Good job Phase.  Are the Leaf backs due for an upgrade to this tech? 

george2787

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2013, 03:46:45 pm »

Very cool feature, it would be even cooler if you could do the same thing on any computer running c1, when I can I shoot to a 27" imac and is great for reviewing.

I expect this wifi-feature to devour battery life, any real life tests?

FredBGG

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2013, 03:49:49 pm »

The wifi implementation direct to iPad sending low res Full image and then tiles for zooming in
is a very smart approach. Minimal data is sent around saving battery and minimizing how much your optic nerve is exposed
to the wifi signal.... the antenna is really very very close to your eye. Smart to send just what the screen needs to display.
Efficient and a "fuel efficient" way to make it fast.

Nice work by Phase on this.

If I understand correctly it is not a substitute for tethering to save all raws to the computer or iPad.
However it is a very nice review tool. Particularly nice that it can send rating back to the camera.

One thought. Using an ad hoc network set up and emanating from the camera requires that the back
power the wifi all the time and emitting a signal to keep the ad hoc network up.

Can it work using an ad hoc network setup by an iPad or tablet PC? Would save back battery power and
minimize wifi exposure if your peeking into the camera for a long time.

FredBGG

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2013, 03:52:45 pm »

Very cool feature, it would be even cooler if you could do the same thing on any computer running c1, when I can I shoot to a 27" imac and is great for reviewing.

I expect this wifi-feature to devour battery life, any real life tests?

Ad hoc network probably quite greedy, but the really efficient way of sending only low res and parts of the image seems very efficient.

Also for the type of use being made long range is not really necessary so there is probably no need for a powerful signal.

FredBGG

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2013, 03:56:17 pm »

To be a technical nit-pick I wouldn't call it a "JPG".

But Biggs is right, the IQ2 is doing all the math/decoding and sending it in real time to the iPad. So when you zoom to 100% on the iPad the IQ2 will decode just that part of the file and send it to the iPad. This makes it really fast compared to any solution where you have to transmit the entire file. You can zoom to 100% after capture, even on an 80mp file.

This is sort of like a pyramid stack like Live Picture the retouching software used back in the day. Open and look at just as much as is needed. VERY smart.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2013, 04:09:49 pm »

One thought. Using an ad hoc network set up and emanating from the camera requires that the back
power the wifi all the time and emitting a signal to keep the ad hoc network up.

Can it work using an ad hoc network setup by an iPad or tablet PC? Would save back battery power and
minimize wifi exposure if your peeking into the camera for a long time.

Yes. Though generating an ad hoc network does not take that much more power than hitching a ride on an existing network, so I would not expect battery life to be drastically different.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2013, 04:13:35 pm »

Also for the type of use being made long range is not really necessary so there is probably no need for a powerful signal.

We're expecting operating range over ad-hoc to be around 8 meters. I agree that covers most anticipated uses. Though, I can imagine many situations where a greater distance would be very useful, and for those situations (and really any situation for which plugging an airport express into an a/c outlet isn't a hinderance) a dedicated wifi network would be preferable..

FredBGG

« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2013, 06:44:54 pm »

We're expecting operating range over ad-hoc to be around 8 meters. I agree that covers most anticipated uses. Though, I can imagine many situations where a greater distance would be very useful, and for those situations (and really any situation for which plugging an airport express into an a/c outlet isn't a hinderance) a dedicated wifi network would be preferable..

You could also use a battery powered hotspot as a go between the ipad and the back.

Even a Galaxy SIII with the double  "fat"  battery could do the job as it can make an ad hoc network.

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2013, 07:25:28 pm »

Okay Doug that is just not freaking far enough from the Grizzly sucking down a fish that I want to shoot can we please work on twelve meters here. I'm getting old and slow with not enough speed to run my ass off at 8 meters maybe 12 I have a fighting chance. You guys really need to step up your game here. Please pass this on to Phase and let them know I said not good enough. I need more.
( I should add here I bet Nikon can do it, I'm sure will hear about it)

Better yet I'm sending your butt to the camera and hit the shutter and I will  direct it from the IPad . ROTFLMAO

Small detail its a 28mm on the tech cam. Sorry bud
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:40:32 pm by Guy Mancuso »
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

jsiva

« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2013, 07:54:13 pm »

Okay Doug that is just not freaking far enough from the Grizzly sucking down a fish that I want to shoot can we please work on twelve meters here. I'm ...

Guy, surely you are not planning on leaving your spanking new IQ260 and 28mm on a Cambo with ivory handles for the grizzly?  At at 8m, at least you have a chance to jump in between the bear and the kit -- you need to think practical here :)

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2013, 08:00:49 pm »

Guy, surely you are not planning on leaving your spanking new IQ260 and 28mm on a Cambo with ivory handles for the grizzly?  At at 8m, at least you have a chance to jump in between the bear and the kit -- you need to think practical here :)

ROTFLMAO. Damn forgot about the ivory handles. That alone is worth getting in between them
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

julienlanoo

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2013, 12:33:41 pm »

That direct ipad thing, i could do that 5 years ago with a leaf valeo and palm pad, so i think its logical they use the technology again.. On modern pads ?..

julienlanoo

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2013, 12:35:34 pm »

What would be nice is if we could use capture pilot to rename files.. Handy when shooting packshots in studio ...

As i could stay near my set instead of always rolling around on the chair to see te computer ...

MrSmith

« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2013, 12:43:12 pm »

Will there be a Bently edition? I want sharkskin, engine turned aluminium plates and British racing green.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up