Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The view South from Santa Maria Beach  (Read 1241 times)

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
The view South from Santa Maria Beach
« on: March 04, 2013, 02:29:12 am »

Seeing the amazing coastal seascapes posted on this site inspired me to give it a shot.

Two recent ones that have been on my mind are one by Matt Tilghman and another by Scott Wilson. I realize that I'm not capable of pulling off anything that good, but for what its worth, here are the ones I managed with help from an obliging sky.

This is new territory for me and I've only been to Point Reyes once before, so I may have chosen a less than ideal vantage point.

First, two pretty standard coastal views.

Luckily for me, I was digging through an ancient pile of equipment yesterday and noticed a polarized filter on an old 50/1.8 Nikkor sitting on a battered F3 body. Turns out a stepper ring is cheap to buy and made the 30+ year old filter compatible with my new fangled lenses. Hence, you are able to see the clouds and details in the waves in the pictures below.

OK, back to the pictures. I also wanted to do something to get across the sense of timelessness I get when I go to a National Seashore as well preserved as this one.

So, the last two images attached are efforts to add a (hopefully subtle) visual metaphor for age to a very familiar view. When I was in front of the grass covered dunes and sky, I felt like I was seeing the raw components of a beach that could just as well be from a million years ago.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: The view South from Santa Maria Beach
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 02:44:52 am »

The spray blown from the tops of the waves - that makes the first shot. The others don't do a great deal for me, though I can see some promise in the B&W

gerafotografija

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 11:18:26 am »

Thanks Bill,
I looked at the b&w again, tried a square crop just for fun and thought that could work even better. Wish I had one of those mf Fujifilm gf670 cameras with the 6x6 selector!
Hope to go back soon and try some more shots, maybe on a less hazy and overcast day (although the dappled light coming through holes in the clouds was kind of interesting).

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 10:10:20 am »

Hope to go back soon and try some more shots, maybe on a less hazy and overcast day (although the dappled light coming through holes in the clouds was kind of interesting).

This is the key. Go back early and go back often. Thanks for the kind words above, but the credit must go to the weather and an opportunity to spend several days at that spot waiting for something good to turn up.

I like the diverse elements on your first picture here.

gerafotografija

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 11:31:17 am »

Thanks Scott, I will and I appreciate the encouragement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up