Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DAM on the Cloud? Solutions for AWS EC2 and S3?  (Read 9545 times)

Pedro Kok

DAM on the Cloud? Solutions for AWS EC2 and S3?
« on: March 03, 2013, 09:07:57 pm »

I'm looking for Digital Asset Management solutions that can run within an Amazon EC2 instance, with S3 file distribution.
Right now I have to deal with a messy local library, broken up along several drive backups. When I'm out of town, I have limited access to my archive.

I've looked into the available solutions in the Marketplace, such as Razuna, Nuxeo and ResourceSpace, but didn't like the price/performance/features balance of these solutions.

For me, this would be an ideal workflow:
- A local server running the DAM database of delivery final files (no raw files).
- Everything with metadata, searchable and with a "lightbox" methodology (add to lightbox, checkout in a downloadable zip file stored in an S3 delivery bucket).
- Assets uploaded and maintained within S3, all paths pointing to S3.
- A remote library. Same DAM software running on-demand on an EC2. I would only start the server when I have a request or the library needs to be updated.
- Local database is updated daily or on-request to the remote EC2 instance. Increment "diff" updates would be ideal.
- S3 handles my needs for backup and availability. Amazon Glacier would handle the full library (final, raw, video footage files).
- Guest account for photo editors to browse the archive.

I've thought about having the DAM server running only on my local machine, SSHing into it when abroad, but I'm worried about availability and speed.

Does anyone have similar needs and can point to possible solutions? Other ideas?

Thank you,
Pedro

Graham Clark

• grahamclarkphoto.com
Re: DAM on the Cloud? Solutions for AWS EC2 and S3?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 05:01:03 am »

I'm looking for Digital Asset Management solutions that can run within an Amazon EC2 instance, with S3 file distribution.
Right now I have to deal with a messy local library, broken up along several drive backups. When I'm out of town, I have limited access to my archive.

I've looked into the available solutions in the Marketplace, such as Razuna, Nuxeo and ResourceSpace, but didn't like the price/performance/features balance of these solutions.

For me, this would be an ideal workflow:
- A local server running the DAM database of delivery final files (no raw files).
- Everything with metadata, searchable and with a "lightbox" methodology (add to lightbox, checkout in a downloadable zip file stored in an S3 delivery bucket).
- Assets uploaded and maintained within S3, all paths pointing to S3.
- A remote library. Same DAM software running on-demand on an EC2. I would only start the server when I have a request or the library needs to be updated.
- Local database is updated daily or on-request to the remote EC2 instance. Increment "diff" updates would be ideal.
- S3 handles my needs for backup and availability. Amazon Glacier would handle the full library (final, raw, video footage files).
- Guest account for photo editors to browse the archive.

I've thought about having the DAM server running only on my local machine, SSHing into it when abroad, but I'm worried about availability and speed.

Does anyone have similar needs and can point to possible solutions? Other ideas?

Thank you,
Pedro

Hey Pedro,

1. What's your budget?
2. Personal or Commercial use-case?
3. Do you have EC2/S3 instances running already?

Graham

Graham Clark  |  grahamclarkphoto.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up